Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Congestion

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:44 AM
  • 11 Replies
Ever since Declan was a month old, we have been constantly dealing with nasal congestion, that eventually gets into his chest...he'll be 4 months on the 24th. He is waking up about every hour because of it and will comfort nurse. The Dr.s have put him on liquid Alburerol (sp?) And a steroid. It only helps while he's taking it. We have tried nasal spray and a humidifier. Do any of you mommy's have any natural remedies I can try?! I am at my wits end :p Could it be something I'm eating that is making him congested? Drs wont test for allergies until he gets older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FLmommy0204
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I'm wondering about allergies.  Any pets?  Smokers in the house?  Maybe just dust bunnies under the crib?  Is he in day care?  Tons of germs.  My dd seemed like she had a constant cold!  She was on albuterol fairly often her first 2 years.

I'm not sure if food will do that, but a co-worker's daughter always had ear infections from a milk allergy.  So it could be something like that too.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Breast milk in the nose. Best decongestnt on the planet.

Get your house checked for mold. That can often cause what you're experiencing.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM
I agree with both replies. Breastmilk in the nose can help with the congestion. It does sound like it could be from something environmental.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabsmom10
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Thanks, ladies. Yes, he does go to daycare ( I work there too). I actually took him to the dr today and he has a double ear infection :( he also said if he doesn't get better, he was going to test him for allergies. I though bf babies were supposed to stay healthy ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM

If you were formula feeding he could well be WORSE. Breastfeeding is merely a risk reducer, just as a seatbelt is. You can still die in a car accident with your seat belt on... babies can still get sick even when breastfed.

Angeldolphine
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually, they are sopposed to get sick, so your immunity system can assist theirs. It's like having a trainer. Think of it this way. If he were on formula, he wouldn't have your assitance or your body training him what to do when bateria and viruses invade his body. With your breastmilk, he does have the assistance.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Dairy.   Dairy, dairy, dairy.... I could have written this 6 years ago!   I was up every couple of hours with my son in the shower so that he could clear his nose out and be able to breathe again.   I cut out dairy and it was gone in 3 days (and so were my seasonal allergies!).  

It went from about 6 weeks (4-6 weeks being the common time for allergies to crop up) until 5ish months when I just couldn't deal anymore and found someone who told me if might be dairy. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
cabsmom10
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Really? How will I know for sure? I also supplement with formula, he seems ok with it. What can I do?

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Dairy.   Dairy, dairy, dairy.... I could have written this 6 years ago!   I was up every couple of hours with my son in the shower so that he could clear his nose out and be able to breathe again.   I cut out dairy and it was gone in 3 days (and so were my seasonal allergies!).  

It went from about 6 weeks (4-6 weeks being the common time for allergies to crop up) until 5ish months when I just couldn't deal anymore and found someone who told me if might be dairy. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

The formula may actually be worsening the congestion. It takes time for reactions to happen. The way to know? Dump dairy, dump formula... it takes a few weeks to get it all out of the system.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:36 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting gdiamante:

The formula may actually be worsening the congestion. It takes time for reactions to happen. The way to know? Dump dairy, dump formula... it takes a few weeks to get it all out of the system.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN