Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Questions...

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:33 AM
  • 7 Replies

When I had my son I had so many issues with bf that I gave up after 3 days.

I was so swollen from kidney problems that he could not get a proper latch. The nurses told me that if I didn't supplement with formula they would call cps. They gave him a binky in the nursery.

What concerns me the most is that even after I gave up my milk never came in.

I want this to work so much. What do you ladies suggest I do. Do you know if it is ok to start taking fenugreek while I'm still pregnant?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mama02040608
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 3:13 AM
1 mom liked this
You can't take fenugreek while pregnant, but it won't do any good anyway. The body's signal to make milk is given when the placenta is delivered.

In the case of your last birth, all of those circumstances may have affected supply. It's hard to tell. Begin now by educating yourself and taking it a day at a time when the next baby comes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 3:14 AM
All I can say is the nurses bullied you (sorry) and I would consider a different hospital this time if you can.

And fenugreek is NOT safe while pregnant. Nothing you can do now anyway, just gotta wait.

Hopefully a mod will chime in with more help :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 18, 2012 at 3:44 AM

No fenugreek in pregnancy. Your milk will come in when it arrives, up to six days postpartum.

The health issues you had probably contributed to the lack of milk. And the nurses didn't help. Have you found a barn for this birth? Because that hospital should be avoided, at all costs.

Angeldolphine
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Wow...I would find another hospital and if you can't, I would arm yourself with LOTS of information. Read up on Kellymom about the differences. I think the health issues contributed to lack of milk too.

No, don't take fenugreek. The best thing you can do is read up on everything you can about breastfeeding. This site will help along with kellymom. You will be successful if you know the booby traps unless something physically is wrong with you or the baby.

eema.gray
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Fenugreek is off limits during pregnancy!

There's a technique I've seen referenced here called "reverse pressure latch" that is supposed to be helpful when dealing with swelling and/or engorgement.  If there's any chance you'll be dealing with similar issues this time around, you should probably familiarize yourself with the technique.

The production of milk is triggered by your baby's placenta detaching from the uterine wall.  After that, milk production is sustained through supply and demand.  I would request that an IBCLC come to see you within the first hour after birth to help you with latching, insist that baby room in with you, and put baby to breast just as often as you possibly can.

blg5484
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM

are you wanting to relactate for your son or just getting ready for the new LO one the way???

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM
This is great advice. There is information on the reverse pressure softening on kellymom.com.

Quoting eema.gray:

Fenugreek is off limits during pregnancy!

There's a technique I've seen referenced here called "reverse pressure latch" that is supposed to be helpful when dealing with swelling and/or engorgement.  If there's any chance you'll be dealing with similar issues this time around, you should probably familiarize yourself with the technique.

The production of milk is triggered by your baby's placenta detaching from the uterine wall.  After that, milk production is sustained through supply and demand.  I would request that an IBCLC come to see you within the first hour after birth to help you with latching, insist that baby room in with you, and put baby to breast just as often as you possibly can.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)