Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

any legal ramification for breast feeding while drunk?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM
  • 51 Replies

My friend came home to his girlfriend drunk, and then she was trying to breast feed the baby. They got in a huge fight and he had to rip a door off to get to them, to stop her.

she ended up apologizing but I'm just wondering if anything would happen if he called the police? I told him he should make an incident report anyways this time. call the police next time and take the daughter to the er to see if she has alcohol in her system.

I am not sure if they could even do anything if its a he said/she said type of thing (assuming that she was only trying and hadn't actually fed her yet.)

He told me this the next day so I wasn't there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
P.N._Guin
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM
I have no idea, but I think there absolutely should be!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Yeah I agree. I am thinkin, unless she actually nurses the baby and the baby has alcohol in her system, nothing can be done.

Quoting P.N._Guin:

I have no idea, but I think there absolutely should be!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alibrezzy154
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM

how drunk was she was it more the four or five drinks?

mrsbrand
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Probably the same charges you would get for actually giving a child alcohol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM
He said there was a pile of beer bottles and she was drunk. she is known for being an alcoholic.

I drink about 3 times a month having anywhere from 1-3 drinks in a sitting, so he knows about drinking and breast feeding.

Quoting alibrezzy154:

how drunk was she was it more the four or five drinks?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM
I don't think so, unless there are health issues that result. How drunk was she? Our breasts filter out most of the alcohol before it reaches the milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaxMomma78
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

thats so sad for the baby!!  this is a situation where i feel like the mom should switch to formula, or at least suppliment.  i mean she needs to choose between alcohol and FF her baby

kmorales7690
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this
This and they have those alcohol testing strips for breastmilk maybe she used one of those!

Quoting aehanrahan:

I don't think so, unless there are health issues that result. How drunk was she? Our breasts filter out most of the alcohol before it reaches the milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM
She was drunk.

We are drinkers, and my friend knows you can drink and breastfeed. She admitted she was too drunk and apologized.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:13 PM
I would think if he called the cops, they would likely test her and the baby. She'd likely be charged for neglect if she were the only one home while drinking, as any substance abuser can be if they are intoxicated while trying to care for a child. I'm not sure though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)