Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

latch??

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM
  • 5 Replies
I dont think shes taking enough boob in. like a shallow latch. But idk. I am so lame. How do u know if latch is good. My nipples are sore but it doesnt hurt to nurse. Oh and red but only the nipple ans a tiny area outside the nipple.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TattoodMommy19
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM
If you feel shes not opening wide enough unlatch then tickle her upper lip with you nipple. She will open wide in response. Check her lips, make sure they are flanged out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MurphyTTC
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM
They arent. Thats what the issue is. I'm not sure.. ugh. She's getting plenty of milk but this is starting to hurt lol. She's sucking on only my nipple. Like a bottle. She did have bottles in the nicu but idk if I'm doing something wrong or how to fix it.

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

If you feel shes not opening wide enough unlatch then tickle her upper lip with you nipple. She will open wide in response. Check her lips, make sure they are flanged out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MurphyTTC
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Also shell open wide but shakes her head around till she has only my nipple.

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM
You can flange her lips yourself once she latches. Pull down gently on her chin and pull her closer at the same time. Everytime you feel pain unlatch and try again. Sounds like she may have nipple preference in which case you simply have to out stubborn her. Don't let her keep latching on just the nipple or they will start to crack

Quoting MurphyTTC:

Also shell open wide but shakes her head around till she has only my nipple.

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Latching and Positioning Resources

AUGUST 29, 2011. Posted in: BREASTFEEDING BASICS

No matter what latch and positioning look like, the true measure is in the answers to these two questions:

1. Is it effective?
  2. Is it comfortable?

Even if latch and positioning look perfect (and, yes, even if a lactation consultant told you they were fine), pain and/or ineffective milk transfer indicate that there is a problem somewhere, and the first suspect is ineffective latch/positioning.

If baby is transferring milk and gaining weight well, and mom is not hurting, then latch and positioning are – by definition – good, even if it’s nothing like the “textbook” latch and positioning that you’ve seen in books.

“Rules and regulations have no place in the mother-baby relationship. Each mother and baby dyad is different and what works well for one mother and baby may not work well for another mother and baby. The important thing to do is to look at the mother and baby as individuals.”

— Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC in The Mother-Baby Dance

Following are some of my favorite resources on latch and positioning:

Latching handouts by Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC 
(I really like these.)

How to Breastfeed from the UK Department of Health’s National Breastfeeding Awareness Week website (click here for printable PDF version; available in many languages)
(Lovely latching pictures here, with simple directions; just keep scrolling down the page.)

Deep Latch Technique from The Pump Station.
(Good latching pictures and directions.)

[PDF] Positioning and Attachment Checklist by Dr. Carolyn Lawlor-Smith, BMBS, IBCLC, FRACGP and Dr. Laureen Lawlor-Smith, BMBS, IBCLC 
(No pictures here, but a really nice description that doesn’t necessarily need pictures. This describes a slighly different way to go about getting a nice wide latch; the results are the same as when using the method in the above links.)

When Latching by Anne J. Barnes, has instructions with drawings
(The drawings and tips here are helpful.)

Latching videos by Dr. Jack Newman

Animation illustrating assymetrical latch technique by Victoria Nesterova 
(Nice animation — text is in Russian.)

The Mother-Baby Dance: Positioning and Latch-On by Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC 
(This is a longish article written for breastfeeding counselors that has some nice descriptions of latching and positioning, along with info on why some things tend to work better than others.)

Latch and positioning videos from Breastfeeding.com. 
(I found the latching videos more useful than the positioning ones, but since they are by necessity very short, there is not much info in each video. Watch all the latching videos to get a better idea of the “big picture.”)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)