Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about solids.

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hey bf mommas. So my son and I get WIC and he gets lots of jars of baby food. He is 7 months and has had lots of different solids, some pureed and others foods he feeds himself. He used to love pureed, especially corn and sweet potatos and peas. Well, the past few days he wont eat the pureed foods. Fine by me. Do any of you have some good baby food recipes? He loves feeding himself bananas and puffs. I think hes preferring feeding himself these days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
FionasMommie
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Smart baby! This website has lots of great information on baby led solids and perfect foods for you LO.

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyfirstfoods.htm

CafeMom Tickers
SuperMom2433
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Thank you very much! This is perfect!!!

Quoting FionasMommie:

Smart baby! This website has lots of great information on baby led solids and perfect foods for you LO.

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyfirstfoods.htm

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I generally looked at my plate for what to give baby :-)

From https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/good-foods-babies

“So what else could I feed my baby?”

Lots of things! Just make sure the food is soft enough not to catch in his throat and that it is cut into little pieces. So, for example, you will want to offer cooked, not raw, carrots, green beans, and peas.

• Try ripe avocados, pears, peaches or apples – whatever is in season.
  • Beans can be mashed after the skins have been removed.
  • If you eat meat, you can offer little pieces of chicken or maybe a meaty leg bone (with that thin sliver of attached bone removed).
  • Tofu is an easy, soft food for a meat-free family with no soy allergies.
  • As he gets closer to a year, your baby may also like to gnaw on a heel of whole wheat bread or a piece of bagel.

“Are there foods I should avoid feeding to my baby?”

• Don't give her anything that could get stuck in her throat, so avoid hard foods like popcorn and nuts and sticky foods like peanut butter.
  • Any “round” foods, like carrots slices or grapes, should be cut into quarters.
  • You may have heard that you should delay potentially allergenic foods, and you may have seen lists of such foods. Current research suggests that there is no benefit or reduction in the development of allergies due to delaying certain foods. 1
  • Never give honey to a baby until he is over a year old because of the risk of botulism (food poisoning).
  • If there are any foods or drinks to which members of your family are allergic or sensitive, talk with your health care provider before offering them to your baby.
SuperMom2433
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM
I am just afraid to give him too much of whats on my plate because of the seasonings we use to cook our food, like garlic, onion, seasoned salt and pepper.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Lots of things! Just make sure the food is soft enough not to catch in his throat and that it is cut into little pieces. So, for example, you will want to offer cooked, not raw, carrots, green beans, and peas.

• If you eat meat, you can offer little pieces of chicken or maybe a meaty leg bone (with that thin sliver of attached bone removed).
  • As he gets closer to a year, your baby may also like to gnaw on a heel of whole wheat bread or a piece of bagel.

• Don't give her anything that could get stuck in her throat, so avoid hard foods like popcorn and nuts and sticky foods like peanut butter.
  • Any “round” foods, like carrots slices or grapes, should be cut into quarters.
  • You may have heard that you should delay potentially allergenic foods, and you may have seen lists of such foods. Current research suggests that there is no benefit or reduction in the development of allergies due to delaying certain foods. 1
  • Never give honey to a baby until he is over a year old because of the risk of botulism (food poisoning).
  • If there are any foods or drinks to which members of your family are allergic or sensitive, talk with your health care provider before offering them to your baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM

The seasonings are fine. Obviously you don't want to load him up on lots of salt, but it is fine to give baby food with seasoning. My DD would eat massive amounts of chicken enchiladas at 8 months old, the spicier the better!

Quoting SuperMom2433:

I am just afraid to give him too much of whats on my plate because of the seasonings we use to cook our food, like garlic, onion, seasoned salt and pepper.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

SuperMom2433
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Oh cool!!! Good to know! Yay! Well Im not doing anymore spoon feeding.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

The seasonings are fine. Obviously you don't want to load him up on lots of salt, but it is fine to give baby food with seasoning. My DD would eat massive amounts of chicken enchiladas at 8 months old, the spicier the better!

Quoting SuperMom2433:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)