Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Never wake a sleeping baby!-----Why?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM
  • 48 Replies

I've heard many women saying not to wake up the baby, even to feed. Let them get up on their own..Does waking them mess something up?

Patterns or eating?

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto2girls89
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM
I always say it because sometimes it takes forever to get my baby to sleep and if anyone wakes her up she's not going to want them anyway she's going to want me...to nurse her back to sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daydreamer86
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Babies wake up when hungry. I was told not to by many people. My son had jaundice so I had wake him up every 2 hours to feed. Once that was cleared up I let him sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cain387
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I've heard of that but I've never practiced that or experienced anything bad from waking my son or daughter up to breast feed them.... My sons now 3 and my daughter is 1 mo old. Shes does great waking up on her own at night but during the day i usually have to wake her up to feed hher.

laurenb1
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM
I've heard people say that... Well when DS was a baby he prob would've starved to death of I didn't wake him for feedings
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daydreamer86
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Oh and waking up to feed just causes a grumpy baby who probably isnt hungry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
phrenicfire89
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Idk, I did a few times, wanting to hold them again, but stopped because they got cranky and weren't very pleasant to cuddle with. It took forever to get them back to sleep. I suppose it might ruin their routine some but not too bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SouthTxPrincess
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I personally feed on demand unless there a reason to feed every two hours like jaundice or something. I let my kids sleep up to four hours before checking to see if they would eat asleep or not. I think that if you wake them up every two hours to eat that's the pattern they are going to follow even when they get older, as in not a newborn. So no I don't wake a sleeping baby unless I absolutely have to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfTheBest2
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM
I've never had any issues waking my baby up. If she didn't want to be awake you can bet she'd fall back asleep lol. I always figured that was to avoid screaming grumpy babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Well, first never wake a sleeping baby unless there's a need to and sometimes there are ie jaundice, weight gain issues, etc.
Babies technically don't need to fully wake to eat, they can sleep eat lol. Plus, if things are going well, no jaundice or weight gain trouble plenty of diapers, get yourself some sleep! Don't wake that baby, enjoy the extra maybe hour or more you have!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blg5484
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:30 PM

i have heard that as well but i wanted mine to eat at least every 3 hours when they were little i would try an offer at 3 hrs then at 4 and again at 5 but if they made it to 5 hours i made them wake to eat mine will suck in their sleep so i never really had to fully wake them just offerand they would latch in their sleep

I think its just so that you can get rest and get a shower in peace LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)