Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blocked Milk Duct?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:27 PM
  • 5 Replies

So today i noticed that under my right breast its a little tender? its not bruised or anything but it hurts to the touch. I tried pushing it a little or maybe massaging it but it wont go away. I'm not sure if maybe my son like leaned on me the wrong way and now its bruised? If it is a blocked duct if i put some heat on it how long do you think it will take to go away.. its very uncomfortable whatever it is.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Daynaof3
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Heat and massage will help but most importantly nursing more often will clear it fastest. Try different positions to help get things cleared. Dangle nursing is a great position to try, baby below you and gravity working it's magic. How long it takes will depend, but the more nursing the better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Needlesmama
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Do you have redness on the skin in that area? Do you feel Like you have the flu(body aches, fever, chills, nausea?) if so it may be more than a plugged duct, try getting a washcloth as hot as you can and putting it in a plastic baggy and using it as a hot compress to try to help release whatever it is, if it doesn't go away or start to loosen up, or gets worse it may be mastitis and you might need to see a doctor tomorrow

momofava2012
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Hi there.. i'm a little late to reply.. but that sounds just like my symptoms when i had mastitis.  Within a day i had a fever, chills, headache and alot of pain.  You should probably call your doc and see what they think.   Continue breastfeeding from that breast.. i know it can be really really painful, but it does help! 

Good luck

Mrs.wilcox01
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Yea mastitis is horrible I am getting over it..I thought I was going to die I waited two days before getting seen I won't do that again.now I have to work on getting my supply back.it is coming back slowly.lol . I agree with needle

Quoting Needlesmama:

Do you have redness on the skin in that area? Do you feel Like you have the flu(body aches, fever, chills, nausea?) if so it may be more than a plugged duct, try getting a washcloth as hot as you can and putting it in a plastic baggy and using it as a hot compress to try to help release whatever it is, if it doesn't go away or start to loosen up, or gets worse it may be mastitis and you might need to see a doctor tomorrow

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM
I agree with Dayna. Dangle nursing is what worked best for me. The clog was gone but it felt bruised for a day or two after. If you don't get it out quickly, it can turn into mastitis and you may need antibiotics.

Quoting Daynaof3:

Heat and massage will help but most importantly nursing more often will clear it fastest. Try different positions to help get things cleared. Dangle nursing is a great position to try, baby below you and gravity working it's magic. How long it takes will depend, but the more nursing the better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)