Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is breast feeding fading away because of wic and formula??

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM
  • 75 Replies

I had mentioned pumping before ryker arrives that way its not so hard in the hospital (I breast fed my other 2 and all I know is those first couple days to a week was hard.) My doctor seemed so shocked to hear in general I want to breast feed because I guess alot of moms these days are staying clear of it and going to formula because the government/ wic pays for it and it makes it easier to hand baby off to someone. I always thought that it was becoming more popular myself...maybe its just where I live at now because all other moms I know have nursed or tried nursing and for some medical reason they couldnt continue. Either way I was just curious how it was where other moms live.  

The Fairchild Gang Mamabouncing mom

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaNdYbEaR2010
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM
7 moms liked this

WIC gives more food benefits to breastfeeding mothers.

fairchildmama
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

exactly i love the fact i can get my cheese back

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree. Most moms here my age (I'm 21 but 19 when I got pregnant) want to do formula because it is "convenient" & they use the excuse well "I'm still young so I need my me time". It's pathetic & stupid. I don't necessarily know about older moms around here but I would guess they are some of them that are thr same way. Everyone talks trash about me because I'm 21 & nursing my 19 month old. They say it's weird & I'm gross & I need to cut her off a LONG time ago (ppl around here think past 6 months is gross). I've actually never known anyone from around here that has breastfed past 6 months except for my mom (13 months with me) & me. I always say.."so my daughter can't nurse privately in OUR house when noone is around but you can pop that paci in your 2/3 year olds mouth all the time in public?" makes me so mad.. Ok sorry I went on a rant lol..
Ps.. How do u pronounce that name?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairchildmama
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Amen! Its rediculous though and really none of their business ya know? I always told myself and I probably will again that the people that want to make their petty comments that they are jealous they cant do something that amazing and I can lol. That aggrivates me too like okay so you were mature enough to have sex you made the choice to keep your child you need to act like a parent. I was the same got preggo at 19 had my son at 20 then again at 21 had a baby at 22 and im now im my 3rd and i always got some comment like dont you want to go out and do this or that you should do formula and my thing is if my kids cant come with me I have no business being there. Heck even getting out of the house for a girls night or date night and im thinking omgosh are my kids okay blah blah blah. I love being with my kids. That and with nursing I have to be there so no family members can snatch him up and keep him over night. Its pronounced like Ryder (Rider) but with a K. I love the name Ryder but all i kept thinking was god forbid in highschool hes already having sex but someone will say something perverted Ryder/ Ride Her so we came up with Ryker its different and seems to fit him even though he isnt here yet

MommaGreenhalge
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it's just way too easy for a lot of people to say, "Hey, the formula's free, we'll just do that." I've seen people do that, and it disgusts me. Especially when it's married SAHM's who just don't want to Bf because they don't care enough.

However, I think it's an economic issue for many people. Many (I would venture to say a large majority) of the women on WIC are single moms who either are working or should be working. For many of them, pumping is either very difficult or next to impossible due to schedules and managers who don't allow for it. So formula is a necessity for them.

Like it or not, the ideal situation for breastfeeding moms is to stay at home and have someone else supporting us financially during that time. Our economy simply does not allow for that in many families.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairchildmama
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM

your right i didnt even think about that! working and some times school plus pumping for daycare would be tough doing it all by yourself. My aunt was fortunate to be able to pump at work but still at the same time Im sure a lot of bosses and employees would find it offensive..its a shame.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

I think it's just way too easy for a lot of people to say, "Hey, the formula's free, we'll just do that." I've seen people do that, and it disgusts me. Especially when it's married SAHM's who just don't want to Bf because they don't care enough.

However, I think it's an economic issue for many people. Many (I would venture to say a large majority) of the women on WIC are single moms who either are working or should be working. For many of them, pumping is either very difficult or next to impossible due to schedules and managers who don't allow for it. So formula is a necessity for them.

Like it or not, the ideal situation for breastfeeding moms is to stay at home and have someone else supporting us financially during that time. Our economy simply does not allow for that in many families.

Char07
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I actually only know 1 person who started out formula feeding, every other one has tried to bf and stopped for some reason or another... Most make it sound like they would have rather continued though.
Shawna2234
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My wic office is completely pro breast feeding! They have peer advisors and they are so helpful! I love my wic office they are great and haven't mentioned formula at all since I told them I was wanting to breast feed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairchildmama
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM

mine in missouri was like that the one i go to now just seems like what ever.

mrsfitz05
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM
3 moms liked this

Actually, where I am, breastfeeding is making a "comeback". When you question women in my mother's generation very few even tried. Now, of all the women I can name off the top of my head that have had babies in the last...say 10 years, I can name 2 that didn't even try to breastfeed.

I think the social pressure to at least "try" is a step in the right direction. We didn't get from babies have mommy's breastmilk or die to 80% of the population just using formula overnight so we won't get back to breastmilk being the majority and the norm over night either. Every mom who succeeds in their own circumstances (SAHMs with successful husbands, low income singe moms, professional women who pump at work) is a cog in the wheel. If you make it 3 months, 6 months, or 4 years every drop of breastmilk you give your baby is putting us on the path to formula being the exception and not the rule.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN