Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is breast feeding fading away because of wic and formula??

Posted by   + Show Post

I had mentioned pumping before ryker arrives that way its not so hard in the hospital (I breast fed my other 2 and all I know is those first couple days to a week was hard.) My doctor seemed so shocked to hear in general I want to breast feed because I guess alot of moms these days are staying clear of it and going to formula because the government/ wic pays for it and it makes it easier to hand baby off to someone. I always thought that it was becoming more popular myself...maybe its just where I live at now because all other moms I know have nursed or tried nursing and for some medical reason they couldnt continue. Either way I was just curious how it was where other moms live.  

The Fairchild Gang Mamabouncing mom

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
louzannalady
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I actually credit WIC for helping me nursing! They had an LC I could talk to during business hours. The nurtionist was experienced with nursing her own kids and helped me with DS's latch, even though she wasn't an LC, she had valuable advice and experience. They gave me an extra shield and reusable breast pads. 

ForeverInLove
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I think WIC has been trying to incorporate more incentives to breastfeeding mothers lately...

I think women's reasons not to breastfeed often stem from being self-centered. The whole, "That's gross. Breasts shouldn't feed babies. That's just not right. It's sexual." I swear, they are beaten with some sort of stick to tell them that breasts are simply sexual, and that those mammary glands are no longer needed. 

Ugh.

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

The WIC in my area was pretty good. I had applied for benefits (I made about $300 too much) and the WIC people were *THRILLED* I was "still" nursing my twins. They were kind of sad because since I didn't qualify, I couldn't be a WIC peer counselor.

On a side note, one of my twin boys is named Ryker, too :) 

fairchildmama
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

yes wic gives out great pumps. i have tried the brands from walmart and they are horrible it takes forever and my breast would be so engorged. love wic for that. the wic office here give them to you after a month but thats fine cause ill still be home so i can nurse away

fairchildmama
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

ive had that said to me and i said first off its a way different feeling from when your partner does it to when a baby does it those that dont see that are crazy hahaha

Quoting ForeverInLove:

I think WIC has been trying to incorporate more incentives to breastfeeding mothers lately...

I think women's reasons not to breastfeed often stem from being self-centered. The whole, "That's gross. Breasts shouldn't feed babies. That's just not right. It's sexual." I swear, they are beaten with some sort of stick to tell them that breasts are simply sexual, and that those mammary glands are no longer needed. 

Ugh.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM
It wouldn't actually help supply anyway. Mature milk production is triggered by the explosion of the placenta. You could store the excess colostrum to use but using that would/could lower supply since it's based off how often baby nurses. The more you nurse the more you make. If you're giving expressed milk you'd still have to pump that feed to stimulate, which pumps aren't as good as stimulating the breasts. It'd be twice the work. Better to just nurse on demand. Kwim?

Quoting fairchildmama:

oh yea i talked to my doctor and he said at 38 wks if i want to start it up im okay but i figure ll just wait and deal with being uncomfortable for the first week

Quoting MaryJarrett:

You shouldn't add in pumping if you haven't been already. It can cause preterm labor.
I have noticed a lot of the attitude you're talking about. Not only with infant feeding but other thungs too. People planning babies based on wic and other's support. It's sad to me. My first was an accident, I was on bc and have a slighy form of pcos, I shouldn't have been able to get pregnant. In that case I was happy I received help from places. But planning on having those as first line support... eh... not so much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM
My cousin is on wic & uses formula. She wanted to bf

I think she had no support (I don't live near her) - so she just gave up in the hospital.

I don't think it's due to wic, I think it's due to a lot of things....mainly formula companies & their ability to sabotage bfing for many (without them knowing it)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Pumping won't make it any less uncomfortable. I nursed my second child through pregnancy and it was still uncomfortable nursing my new baby. Pumping or nursing an fee child doesn't change the fact that the newborn is still learning how to nurse. =)

Quoting fairchildmama:

oh yea i talked to my doctor and he said at 38 wks if i want to start it up im okay but i figure ll just wait and deal with being uncomfortable for the first week

Quoting MaryJarrett:

You shouldn't add in pumping if you haven't been already. It can cause preterm labor.
I have noticed a lot of the attitude you're talking about. Not only with infant feeding but other thungs too. People planning babies based on wic and other's support. It's sad to me. My first was an accident, I was on bc and have a slighy form of pcos, I shouldn't have been able to get pregnant. In that case I was happy I received help from places. But planning on having those as first line support... eh... not so much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairchildmama
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

oh im aware of that lol i know it will still be sore but i wanted to totally enjoy baby while he nurses and im still in the hospital because with my other 2 i broke down twice because my nipples were so soar and they were very hard suckers it seemed like and i broke down and cried a couple times but after a week it was no biggy i just wanted to avoid all that and just be able to latch baby on and go instead of hurt.

Quoting lifetimelove:

Pumping won't make it any less uncomfortable. I nursed my second child through pregnancy and it was still uncomfortable nursing my new baby. Pumping or nursing an fee child doesn't change the fact that the newborn is still learning how to nurse. =)

Quoting fairchildmama:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Goofygadget
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Every mother I meet is breastfeeding. I always ask.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)