Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I just learned that I have the beginning signs of pre-e.  They are shooting to induce at 37 weeks (May 9th), but it will be sooner if things get worse.  Of course, I hope my baby doesn't spend any time in the NICU, but it's very possible.  I'm at 34 weeks now.  I'm worried that (among other things), she will have a difficult time breast feeding due to prematurity or simply being in an unnatural environment like the NICU.  I had planned on doing skin-to-skin, delayed clamping, and immediate breast feeding.  Now I'm worried that all my plans are going to go out the window if she comes early.  

Does anyone have any experience with this situation?  How do hospitals handle breast fed babies in the NICU?  Will they insist on giving her formula?  Will they feed her through a tube if she comes at 34-36 weeks? Will they have me pump - and if so, do they provide a pump?  I have a manual (didn't think I would use it much), but now I am thinking I should buy an electric and pack it in my bag.  

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:43 AM
Replies (11-12):
sanderson316
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I had my daughter at 36 weeks she was with me for 20min we tried BF she wouldn't latch and then was rushed to NICU, They wouldn't let me BF her after that I had to pump and they gave it to her through a tube because her breathing was so irregular (she had a lung infection from being early) they did let me do skin to skin the nurses said they feel it would make her transition from womb to world quicker and two days later she was out of NICU and on the floor.
Hope all goes well for you!!!
Pink.Daisies.23
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this
I had a 35 weeker who came home
The next day. They don't always have to go to NICU (:

We had latch issues though and it took a lot longer to establish nursing with her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)