Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Diet pills and bfing

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM
  • 15 Replies
So the other day i went to a dr appt and took my weight. Im 150lbs. I was 143 after having the baby and 130 prepregnancy. i really wanna get back down to prepregnancy and hopefully a little lower i have trouble loosing weight. Im working out and eat healther but still needing a little boost. Is it safe to take diet pills while bfing.
LO is almost a year old and will still continue o bf until atleast 18 months old.
CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Diet pills aren't really safe for YOU, so I personally wouldn't takem them wile bfing. 

Here's some info from Kellymom: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/herbs/mom-herbalweightloss/

kimmaylove013
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Bump ... I would think not...
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Nope, not safe!

YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't take diet pills, breastfeeding or not! Trust me on this one. I am a nurse and had to take care of a man who was a vegetable from the side effects of diet pills. He was young and had kids. It was heartbreaking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Yeah I wouldn't take them NOT bfing so I definitely wouldn't advise taking them while bfing.

tanya_marieh
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM

No they are not.  Are you counting calories or know your BMR to know exactally how much you should be eating while BFing.  If you aren't eating enough that could be why you aren't loosing weight.  If you would like I could calculate how much you should be eating to loose 1-2lbs while BF.  I would need your height, weight, age, how many days you are working out and about how many times a day you BF.

I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.

-Elayne Boosler

Rosa404
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Quoting tanya_marieh:

No they are not.  Are you counting calories or know your BMR to know exactally how much you should be eating while BFing.  If you aren't eating enough that could be why you aren't loosing weight.  If you would like I could calculate how much you should be eating to loose 1-2lbs while BF.  I would need your height, weight, age, how many days you are working out and about how many times a day you BF.

Thank you. I will not be taking any pills. I did some research after posting this and relized how unsafe it is expecially while bfing.

Thank you for calculating that for me.
I am 5'4", 150lbs, 20yrs old, working out 5 days a week for about 45 minutes. also hoping to get a new stroller next month and will be adding a 30-hour walk daily.
Hines nurses about every 2-3 hours day and night
Breast feeding has never really affected my body though. I didnt have a delay in my period or change in apittite, I never lost wieght easier.

You said 2-3 lbs is that a week, a month? im looking to loose a total of 20-30 lbs. like to be 140-145lbs by may 19th. Thats my sons birthday party and alot of family itt coming i just wanna look nice and confident, which im in low supply of rite now.

Again thank you.
CafeMom Tickers
shelley11709
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM
1-2 lbs a week is safe weight loss anything more is too fast.
If you are willing to spend the money ($20 a month) weight watchers has a program for nursing moms. It's really easy and doesn't feel like a diet.

Quoting Rosa404:

Quoting tanya_marieh:

Thank you. I will not be taking any pills. I did some research after posting this and relized how unsafe it is expecially while bfing.

I am 5'4", 150lbs, 20yrs old, working out 5 days a week for about 45 minutes. also hoping to get a new stroller next month and will be adding a 30-hour walk daily.

Breast feeding has never really affected my body though. I didnt have a delay in my period or change in apittite, I never lost wieght easier.

You said 2-3 lbs is that a week, a month? im looking to loose a total of 20-30 lbs. like to be 140-145lbs by may 19th. Thats my sons birthday party and alot of family itt coming i just wanna look nice and confident, which im in low supply of rite now.

Again thank you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanya_marieh
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM

The only reason I ask about breast feeding amount I want to try to figure that out.  Little one is still nursing quite often but I'm assuming eating table food as well so instead of adding the 500 extra I'm only going to add 250.  It should be 1-2lbs per week, and if you use a site like sparkpeople.com or myfitnesspal.com you can put your food in there and it will calculate all of your calories.  Up until I knew my BMR I couldn't loose any weight at all and I was eating to few calories.

BMR- 1764.  This is how many calories a day your body will need with doing nothing but nursing. 

Maintenance while working out: 1764*1.55 (working out 3-5 days/week): 2734

To lose 1-2 lb per week: 1764-2234 calories

On days that you work out you should have more than 1764 calories.

Now if you find that you aren't loosing at least a lb a week you can probably go below 1764 by about 250 calories but I wouldn't. I have lost quite a bit of weight by doing this and there are quite a few people in the healthy weight loss group on here that have as well.

Quoting Rosa404:

Quoting tanya_marieh:

Again thank you.

I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.

-Elayne Boosler

tanya_marieh
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I forgot to add that you should probably drink about 75 ounces of water a day.  :)

Quoting tanya_marieh:

The only reason I ask about breast feeding amount I want to try to figure that out.  Little one is still nursing quite often but I'm assuming eating table food as well so instead of adding the 500 extra I'm only going to add 250.  It should be 1-2lbs per week, and if you use a site like sparkpeople.com or myfitnesspal.com you can put your food in there and it will calculate all of your calories.  Up until I knew my BMR I couldn't loose any weight at all and I was eating to few calories.

BMR- 1764.  This is how many calories a day your body will need with doing nothing but nursing. 

Maintenance while working out: 1764*1.55 (working out 3-5 days/week): 2734

To lose 1-2 lb per week: 1764-2234 calories

On days that you work out you should have more than 1764 calories.

Now if you find that you aren't loosing at least a lb a week you can probably go below 1764 by about 250 calories but I wouldn't. I have lost quite a bit of weight by doing this and there are quite a few people in the healthy weight loss group on here that have as well.

Quoting Rosa404:

Quoting tanya_marieh:

Again thank you.

-Elayne Boosler

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)