Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Why is pumping so frowned upon?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am so lucky to be able to stay home with my lo and have the ability to breastfeed. I have gone 7 weeks without any end in sight to an oversupply. I don't see why it is so terrible to pump once in a while (I do once every other day - but stopped since babe has Thrush and I understand he can get it again from the milk). I do so because I want to have a small frozen stash for emergencies/ babysitting. Also my hubby loves to feed him once in a while. 

On another note - Ive read some comments about how much a babe should be eating - I thought  you couldnt fo wrong with feeding on demand and as much as they want.

Maybe Im missing the bigger picture here - can someone tell me why pumping seems to be so frowned upon with breastfeeding moms. It seems as bad as breastfeeding a toddler to other people. 

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newbabystarr09
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I never knew pumping to be frowned up on...I only thought breastfeeding mother's frowned on giving any formula or solids to young..I must have missed people commenting on pumping as being frowned up on..I would think breast milk in a bottle is better then formula any day..the baby's got to eat

Edit: not all mom's can be with their baby all the time to feed from the tap

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Ashora1990
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM
i have never seen it frowned upon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Feeding on demand from the breast is fine. Bottles are faster and easier and bm is thin a bottle leads to overfeeding bf babies if caregiver is not careful.

Bm from the breast is best, pumped milk is second best which is why we say to only give bottles when needed and not overfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofNikki2010
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM
It isn't... personally I just physically hate doing it lol.

I'm sure some will put down on it replacing actual nursing because of the physical aspect but whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
07lilmama1108
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM

It's great to have a stash and such! I pump at work and once during the day but I really don't like pumping!!! Ds doesn't take a bottle often because he doesn't like the nipple so most of what I have in the freezer I will be donating. I think I'm at 75+oz or so. I don't like how time consuming it can be really.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM
3 moms liked this
Pumping isn't really frowned upon at all! Exclusive pumping, although not frowned upon, you will see discouraged in moms who think that they will "'just' pump and put it in a bottle", because the reality is it's so much harder than direct breastfeeding and had a high failure rate.
The only other time you will see pumping discouraged is when mom has/is creating an oversupply. Oversupply isn't as great as it might sound. It can cause a lot of issues in baby.
Otherwise, pump away!
(oh and you can't overfeed a baby FROM THE BREAST. It's extremely easy to overfeed from a bottle, bottles work nothing like breastfeeding. The "rules" about bottle sizes are both to prevent overfeeding and to protect the breastfeeding relationship)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Glowing4Caleb
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I have seen people comment on "never give baby a bottle" if you are around. That isn't something I practice. I consider myself pretty hardcore when it comes to breastfeeding. (Breastfed my first until just over 1 year old, never had a lick of formula) and I hope to do the same with my now 12 week old. I introduced a bottle to him at 5 weeks old (wanted to do 6 weeks but had an event at church when baby would need to eat). Like you said, sometimes dad may want to give a bottle, sometimes I might want a drink ;), sometimes you aren't with baby. As long as you are committed, it shouldn't hurt your breastfeeding relationship. It CAN lead to a baby preferring a bottle. However, if one is committed to breastfeeding for a long time, they would recognize that and stop giving a bottle until they prefer mom again.

I feed my child more than what moms have recommended on here (1 - 1.25 ounces for every hour away from mom) because he needs more or he will scream and cry. No reason to put him through that when I have enough milk pumped for him.

FLmommy0204
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Quoting Crystal_S:

I am so lucky to be able to stay home with my lo and have the ability to breastfeed. I have gone 7 weeks without any end in sight to an oversupply. I don't see why it is so terrible to pump once in a while (I do once every other day - but stopped since babe has Thrush and I understand he can get it again from the milk). I do so because I want to have a small frozen stash for emergencies/ babysitting. Also my hubby loves to feed him once in a while. 

That's awesome!  I pumped 3x a day at work.  I hate it.  It gets old fast!  Props to moms who do it full time!  I know that breast gives baby the best milk as pumping, refridgerating, and reheating can kill off some of the good stuff.  I'm not sure of exactly how much better it is.  Any breastmilk is still better than formula, though.  I don't have a problem with pumping at all, though! 

If you have an over supply, pumping can make it worse.  So that's one possible reason to avoid pumping if you don't have to.  Though, if baby doesn't care, I would keep on pumping. 

Bottles can interfere with the breastfeeding relationship, though. Maybe that's the issue? I don't know.

On another note - Ive read some comments about how much a babe should be eating - I thought  you couldnt fo wrong with feeding on demand and as much as they want.

Baby should eat at will at the breast.  On the bottle however, babies tend to over eat.  The milk flows faster out of the bottle nipple and they may not realize they are full and keep sucking.  So it's recommended to give 2-3 oz bottles of pumped milk.  You also want mom to = high supply and bottle to = low supply that way baby favors mom.  

Maybe Im missing the bigger picture here - can someone tell me why pumping seems to be so frowned upon with breastfeeding moms. It seems as bad as breastfeeding a toddler to other people. 

I'm not really sure why it's frowned upon, but I have seen posts talking down to moms who wish to exclusively pump.  ETA:  It's not as common in this group though.
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think anyone frowns on pumping. The only time I've ever seen people being "down" on pumping is when you've got a pregnant mom talking about wanting to "just" exclusively pump because she somehow mistakenly believes it will be easier. To a mom in that situation we might sound like anti-pump, but it's really just letting a mom know what a hard road.choosing to exclusively pump would be.

Nobody thinks every mom can be with baby 24/7, and if not starvation is the answer, lol.

Quoting newbabystarr09:

I never knew pumping to be frowned up on...I only thought breastfeeding mother's frowned on giving any formula or solids to young..I must have missed people commenting on pumping as being frowned up on..I would think breast milk in a bottle is better then formula any day..the baby's got to eat

Edit: not all mom's can be with their baby all the time to feed from the tap

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dimples04
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM
I always seemed to have either baby or pump on me. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN