Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I think that I'm drying up already.

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok I'm very new to BF. This is my second baby and I pump she has a hard time trying to latch she will still go to breast but on her terms (least thats what it feels like). I have been pumping every 2-3 hours except at night when we both sleep between 4-5 hours thenshe feeds and I pump again. But when I used to get 2-4 oz out of each side I'm now lucky if i get an ounce or so out of each side, I will put her to breast to see if I can stimulate more but I'm starting to get worried. I dont wanna go to formula if I can help it. Any help, Ideas anything would be awsome. I would really like for this to work for us. I love the bonding that I get with her and so does hubs since he can help durnign the night or day if im busy. plus he will be caregiver while I'm at work.

Sorry baby was born 4/6/12 and

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Replies (11-17):
metzeli
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM

The right side has a huge crack in it right now and thats the one that hurts. The other prob I have is that I have very flat and almost non exsistant nipples. I should have included that in the original post (sorry bout that). I wish that I qualified for aid but I make to much or I would def jmp on it just for a new pump. Not sure about the TT as she is always hanging her tounge out her mouth and it does go well beyond her lower lip. Still getting in touch with the lactation people. Shes up to about 4 oz  feeding andIm having probs trying to keep up with her even doing both nursing and pumping. Im going to get some of the supplements that Ive seen suggested. just have to get through one more week til I get paid again (crossing fingers).

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
4oz is overfeeding. Bottles should never be more than 3oz every 3hrs. Have you tried using a nipple shell to help draw out your nipples?

Quoting metzeli:

The right side has a huge crack in it right now and thats the one that hurts. The other prob I have is that I have very flat and almost non exsistant nipples. I should have included that in the original post (sorry bout that). I wish that I qualified for aid but I make to much or I would def jmp on it just for a new pump. Not sure about the TT as she is always hanging her tounge out her mouth and it does go well beyond her lower lip. Still getting in touch with the lactation people. Shes up to about 4 oz  feeding andIm having probs trying to keep up with her even doing both nursing and pumping. Im going to get some of the supplements that Ive seen suggested. just have to get through one more week til I get paid again (crossing fingers).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Breast shell for those nipples. The nipples can be flat and almost nonexistent; that's OK. Most women have flat nipples.

Gruntlings
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Get her on the breast and stop with the bottles. The pumped milk should be frozen for while you're at work not fed to her. 

There are ways to treat nipple pain. She probably is causing you nipple trauma because of nipple confusion. This will get better the longer you go without giving her a bottle. 

Is there any visible trauma to your nipple? Does it come out of her mouth creased, blistered, red, bleeding, cracked? Is the skin on your nipple rough and red or does it have any scabs on it? Or is it just sore? Is there bruising? 

Gruntlings
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Quoting metzeli:

4oz feeds are huge and not good. If she's under a few months I'd do 2oz feeds every 2 hours. 

Soak your nipples in warm water before nursing. This will loosen up any scabs and reduce the damage caused by a bad latch. 

Does she make any odd sounds when nursing? Clicking? Do her lips get tucked under or do they flange out like fish lips? 

Is she getting a pacifier? If so, stop the pacifier. Any artificial nipple causes her to nurse incorrectly. It's called "nipple confusion". 

metzeli
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Ok sorry its been awhile for me to get back.

She sleeps alot I dont wake sleeping babies. Sorry just me my Step sis who is BF her 4 mos old son never woke him either and he ate the same way so im not worried. If she sleeps fo 2 hours then she'll eat just a 2oz bottle.

Ive been watching her more when I get her to breast her top lip curls under, Lower one will stick out. and there is a click even if she has a bottle she clicks (I've been compareing the last few days) I've noticed too that after I pump she latches better so Ill pump a lil bit then put her on. Sis said that it looked like she might be a lil tounge tied.

There have not been any scabs or anything no bleeding just soreness of the nipple but thats gone away now. My supply is still low but steady of about 2-3 oz every 3 hours. When I can I do try to put her on more or pump more too trying to cause more stimulation. My Step sis has been awsome enough to give us some of her over supply to supplement with (she's a human cow 20oz everytime she pumps). so that I can keep her on breast milk no matter what. Im still not gonna give up.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM

If she's tongue tied it needs clipping. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN