Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
I just left for work at 1045. Jacob had been fussy all evening and cluster fed. I had him sleeping. Y 1030 thinking he was out for the night. He woke up as I walked out the door. I just talked to him and he said he gave him the 2 1/2 oz I pumped this evening and thawed more out. And he's still fussy. I told him not to feed him anymore. That it was too much. I'm trying to tell him to rock him, craddle him and use the paci but he's saying he's still restless. Any advice? Dh says he's acting like he hasn't eaten all day. This is making me nervous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
newbabystarr09
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Take one of you shirt or something that has your smell on it..and have your DH lay baby on it in baby's bed..Baby will sleep better with your smell near him..I tried this with my DS it works

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
TheBabyFactory4
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Good advice.

Quoting newbabystarr09:

Take one of you shirt or something that has your smell on it..and have your DH lay baby on it in baby's bed..Baby will sleep better with your smell near him..I tried this with my DS it works

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM
And after talking to him this morn he told me he was trying to fix bottle with fussy baby and spilled some of it in sink. So he might have gotten about an oz from what I pumped yesterday. And I had about 3 1/2 oz in the freezer bag. 2 oz was still in the bottle. It wasn't as bad as he let on. He'll learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:45 PM
2 moms liked this

<-----------guilty of this as well.

Crying? Here's some boob

Tired? Here's some boob

Hurt? Here's some boob

Sun in your eyes? Here's some boob

Wind blowing the wrong way? Here's some boob

The running joke in my house is that, once the kids are weaned, we're screwed, because I don't know how to parent with a shirt on. lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Dads are notorious for wanting to feed babies to "fix" them quickly. It can take a lot of work and trial and error to figure out how a baby needs to be soothed at any given time. Dads seem to get especially frustrated that what worked yesterday doesn't seem to work today. Dad and baby will find their rhythm, but they both might push the other to their limits in the process. Dad saying "the baby is STILL restless" might be after a 5 minute attempt at the rocker when you know it's going to take at least 15. I swear men have no true concept of time. My husband thinks he can take a shower and get ready in 10 minutes when by my clock it's over 30 minutes in the bathroom every time.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM

What kind of bottle are you using?  Many bottles have a faster flow.  For a BF'd baby, nursing provides more than food, it provides time to be held, feel loved, the warmth of skin.

In the future, have DH feed him half an ounce at a time, then cuddle/burp baby to make that time seem longer.  Let him know he is filling multiple needs, so it's OK to take his time.  You could try a slower flow nipple as well if you don't already have one.  After the feeding, if baby is still restless than a paci and snuggles should help. 

It might help to teach DH how to use a baby sling so he can still do his activities while baby gets some snuggles in!

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM

To be fair, I have magic boobs like this as well. But when I'm using the boob to cure some "ill", I'm not always thinking the baby needs "to be fed"; more often than not, I fully expect to fulfill a pacifying function. ;-)

Quoting LKRA:

Crying? Here's some boob

Tired? Here's some boob

Hurt? Here's some boob

The running joke in my house is that, once the kids are weaned, we're screwed, because I don't know how to parent with a shirt on. lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Dads are notorious for wanting to feed babies to "fix" them quickly. It can take a lot of work and trial and error to figure out how a baby needs to be soothed at any given time. Dads seem to get especially frustrated that what worked yesterday doesn't seem to work today. Dad and baby will find their rhythm, but they both might push the other to their limits in the process. Dad saying "the baby is STILL restless" might be after a 5 minute attempt at the rocker when you know it's going to take at least 15. I swear men have no true concept of time. My husband thinks he can take a shower and get ready in 10 minutes when by my clock it's over 30 minutes in the bathroom every time.

LKRA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Oh, totally. I nurse to pacify, and I nurse to feed.

Pacify: 80%

Feed: 20%

lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

To be fair, I have magic boobs like this as well. But when I'm using the boob to cure some "ill", I'm not always thinking the baby needs "to be fed"; more often than not, I fully expect to fulfill a pacifying function. ;-)

Quoting LKRA:

Crying? Here's some boob

Tired? Here's some boob

Hurt? Here's some boob

TheBabyFactory4
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM
I love the pic. I work overnight so if baby.is awake dh is wanting to get him back asleep. He took care of the others as infants when I worked. Evenings but they were ft by the time I went to work. This is new to both of us. I think he was scared the baby wouldn't let him sleep last night. I'm using tommee tippee bottles with the slowest flow.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

What kind of bottle are you using?  Many bottles have a faster flow.  For a BF'd baby, nursing provides more than food, it provides time to be held, feel loved, the warmth of skin.

In the future, have DH feed him half an ounce at a time, then cuddle/burp baby to make that time seem longer.  Let him know he is filling multiple needs, so it's OK to take his time.  You could try a slower flow nipple as well if you don't already have one.  After the feeding, if baby is still restless than a paci and snuggles should help. 

It might help to teach DH how to use a baby sling so he can still do his activities while baby gets some snuggles in!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM

How old is baby?  Could he use a baby swing to help soothe the baby, then once baby is asleep move the baby to his normal sleeper?

DS2 is only a month old, but he's teething already.  Sometimes when all else fails, I put him in the swing and sit right by him until he nods off.  Then I move him to the bassinet in my room.

Just encourage him to keep trying different things until he finds something that works.  DS2 won't usually settle into sleep with me if he's upset, b/c he wants to comfort nurse.  We found that if DH lies with DS2 on his chest belly-down for about 20 mins, DS2 will fall asleep and we can move him to his bed.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

I love the pic. I work overnight so if baby.is awake dh is wanting to get him back asleep. He took care of the others as infants when I worked. Evenings but they were ft by the time I went to work. This is new to both of us. I think he was scared the baby wouldn't let him sleep last night. I'm using tommee tippee bottles with the slowest flow.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

TheBabyFactory4
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:09 PM
He's 10 weeks old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)