Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Statistical question

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM
  • 6 Replies
So I'm always seeing these posts and comments about what percentage of babies are still nursing at what ages. I was wondering if there are stats for babies that continue nursing after a mother returns to work? Are working mamas ever tallied separately? Just wonder sometimes, out of the **% still nursing at * age, how many of those are working moms? I feel like I don't count in the stats because I pump and baby gets bottle while I'm at work, even though we nurse all other times. Just curious anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
larissalarie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM
I don't think they do seperate statistics for that, but many many many successful breastfeeding moms work outside the home. Anecdotal evidence among my friends and acquaintances suggest that working moms actually are more successful at breastfeeding! I had no issues whatsoever working 45+ hours a week and ebf my older 2. It was no easier or more difficult than ebf my youngest now that I don't work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfTheBest2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Thanks for your input! I just wondered because I'm the only bf mama I know who continued after going back to work. I'm the only one I know who went past the first few months actually. A few girls that work with me initially breastfed but weaned when they came back. It made me curious what percentage of women returning to work stop bf. I haven't had any issues with pumping and continuing to nurse.

Quoting larissalarie:

I don't think they do seperate statistics for that, but many many many successful breastfeeding moms work outside the home. Anecdotal evidence among my friends and acquaintances suggest that working moms actually are more successful at breastfeeding! I had no issues whatsoever working 45+ hours a week and ebf my older 2. It was no easier or more difficult than ebf my youngest now that I don't work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissSarah04
by Sarah on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:01 AM
Im also working full time and nursing/pumping. I've been back almost two weeks now. It was so overwhelming at first because every break is spent pumping. Now it's okay except I still cry a lot. I hate hate hate the fact that McKenzie spends more waking time with a caregiver than me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfTheBest2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:12 AM
I totally understand! I've been back to work for about 7 months (dd is 9 months) and it sucks to miss out. My dh keeps her so it makes me feel a bit better but it makes me sad that he knows things about her that I don't, like what get morning routine is and stuff. Hang in there mama, the pumping gets easier, it you just get so used to it that it didn't affect you anymore.

Quoting MissSarah04:

Im also working full time and nursing/pumping. I've been back almost two weeks now. It was so overwhelming at first because every break is spent pumping. Now it's okay except I still cry a lot. I hate hate hate the fact that McKenzie spends more waking time with a caregiver than me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabsmom10
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I supplement while at work :( Declan goes to work with me (I work at a daycare), so basically I still get to nurse him at least every 4 hours, but in the times between he gets formula. I am a preschool teacher and my schedule is too hectic to go back there every 2 hours to nurse.

Good for you for pumping, that is hard work, imo!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I've never seen any stats, just personal observance over a decade. And keep in mind the observance is based on mothers in this community and others like it; that's only a percentage of the total of nursing moms in the US.

What I've observed is that more nursing moms go longer. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)