• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

norco 10?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:18 AM
  • 7 Replies
I have a severe back injury from a car crash while I was pregnant. I finally got in to see my pain management doctor, he prescribed me norco 10 s which is hydrocodone. Dr and pharmacy say pump and dump but I trust you ladies info more since doc and pharmacy are just covering their asses. Are these pills OK while breastfeeding? If not I won't take them but God I really hurt. I can hardly lift the baby. It would be awesome to get some relief.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sreichelt26
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:19 AM
You're fine. That's what they give you after a c-section.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilyMarshall
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM
bump

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I would only take them when you have to.  They are ok in the sense that they won't do anything damaging, but they will make the baby (and potentially you as well) very sleepy.  And you aren't supposed to drive while taking that.

Goofygadget
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM

How old is your baby and what direction did the doc give?

Norco does go into your breastmilk. I don't exactly know how it works in the breastmilk from there but I do know that it has a very short half life in blood and doesn't bind to your fat cells so it leaves your system within about 2 or 3 days of taking it.

larissalarie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Limited, cautious use should be fine. From Lactmed:

" Maternal use of maximum dosages of oral narcotics while breastfeeding can cause infant drowsiness. Newborn infants seem to be particularly sensitive to the effects of even small dosages of narcotic analgesics, particularly in the first week of life. However, the newborn's dosage is limited by the small volumes of colostrum in the first 2 to 3 days postpartum. Once the mother's milk comes in, it is best to limit maternal intake of oral hydrocodone (and combinations) and to supplement analgesia with a nonnarcotic analgesic if necessary. A maximum hydrocodone dosage of 30 mg daily is suggested. Monitor the infant for drowsiness, adequate weight gain, and developmental milestones, especially in younger, exclusively breastfed infants. If the baby shows signs of increased sleepiness (more than usual), difficulty breastfeeding, breathing difficulties, or limpness, a physician should be contacted immediately"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM

The biggest danger from Norco is the risk of addiction for you. My husband has been on Norco 10/325 for years, after a motorcycle accident. He has been transitioning to a Fentanyl patch because the Norco stops workinbg after a while unless you take more and more. Please note... we're talking long term chronic pain. If you've been referred to any physical therapy for this be sure to go. DH did not; instead he went back to work too soon and that accounts for the pain that's been with him for eight years.

TattoodMommy19
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Mine are 10/325 as well. My back injury needs surgery but I cannot afford it so we are just trying to manage the pain. I have therapy three times per week. After looking up lactmed and borrowing Dr hales book I decided I'm going to only take one pill per day, after baby eats in the morning. She goes a four hour stretch after 11 am. Hopefully this will control the pain and not affect my lo. Thanks everyone!

Quoting gdiamante:

The biggest danger from Norco is the risk of addiction for you. My husband has been on Norco 10/325 for years, after a motorcycle accident. He has been transitioning to a Fentanyl patch because the Norco stops workinbg after a while unless you take more and more. Please note... we're talking long term chronic pain. If you've been referred to any physical therapy for this be sure to go. DH did not; instead he went back to work too soon and that accounts for the pain that's been with him for eight years.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)