• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth control question

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:39 AM
  • 12 Replies

What birth control options are available for breast feeding moms? Can you take the pill, use an IUD or is it just condoms? Just curious I'm a first timer & planning on breastfeeding. I've also heard that you don't ovulate or that you will ovulate only sometimes while breastfeeding, is that true?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2bkayleesmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Minni pill is what my dr gave me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashiopeia
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM
You might possibly ovulate irregularly but that is in no way reliable and should not be your only form of BC. I don't know about the hormonal options since I can't use them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
izz2005
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM

u can still get prego if u r breastfeeding and dont use anything but u can take the pill but it is a different type of pill..i dont think iuds matter

larissalarie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Iud's are a fantastic option. If you want the pill, it has to be the mini pill (estrogen in traditional pills is a big supply killer)
There's also condoms, spermicides, natural family planning, diaphragm, implant, the shot....

Oh if you really don't want another baby, you shouldn't just rely on bf. It can be really effective, but you never know who it will suppress ovulation for and who it won't before it's too late!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Traditional combination hormonal BC (the ones that have both estrogen and progesterone) are generally not recommended.  All of these treatment, whether in a ring, patch, or pill have a reputation of dropping a mom's supply dramatically and quickly.  The long term hormonal controls, such as inplants and shots fall into the estrogen/progesterone category and are typically not recommended.

Hormonal treatments that contain progesterone only (so called mini pills) are usually okay to take, though some moms still experience a drop in supply.  They also tend to be less effective once you start to feed your baby solid food.

Mirena (plastic IUD impregnanted with estrogen and progesterone) is pretty hit or miss.  Some moms have no problems with supply, others experience a dramatic drop.  Paraguard (copper IUD, no hormones) doesn't cause supply issues.

Then you have condoms, diaphragms, cervical caps, and spermicide, all of which are safe and have no supply issues attached to them.

MamaCat1121
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM
My dr told me my only options are IUD, the depo shot and the pill micronor (I think that's how its spelled) that pill has one type of hormone instead of two..but condoms are always good back up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Mirena, the shot, and implanon all only contain progesterone, the bf "safe" hormone. Just to clarify.

Quoting eema.gray:

Traditional combination hormonal BC (the ones that have both estrogen and progesterone) are generally not recommended.  All of these treatment, whether in a ring, patch, or pill have a reputation of dropping a mom's supply dramatically and quickly.  The long term hormonal controls, such as inplants and shots fall into the estrogen/progesterone category and are typically not recommended.

Hormonal treatments that contain progesterone only (so called mini pills) are usually okay to take, though some moms still experience a drop in supply.  They also tend to be less effective once you start to feed your baby solid food.

Mirena (plastic IUD impregnanted with estrogen and progesterone) is pretty hit or miss.  Some moms have no problems with supply, others experience a dramatic drop.  Paraguard (copper IUD, no hormones) doesn't cause supply issues.

Then you have condoms, diaphragms, cervical caps, and spermicide, all of which are safe and have no supply issues attached to them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Really?  I could have sworn they were combo's!  I'm planning on getting a paraguard in a few weeks so the details on the hormonal ones must have escaped me.  Now I know better.  ;-)

Quoting larissalarie:

Mirena, the shot, and implanon all only contain progesterone, the bf "safe" hormone. Just to clarify.

Quoting eema.gray:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
christineT79
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll def talk to my dr about what I can use after my baby is born. I'll probly go with the IUD Mirena.

ssenter
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I'm not on anything now but I was on the Mirena and my supplied lowered but I have to be honest I am not sure if it lowered because of the Mirena or because I got pregnant on the Mirena and then miscarried. If you are on the Mirena don't worry to much about getting pregnant on it since I have had surgery to scrap out endometriois I became pregnant on the pill (and I took the pill at 8pm daily never missed) and then on the mirena and I am pregnant now and my surgery was 04/11 so I just became very fertile period. I have now given up on birth control and am just going to have my baby's and then get fixed (lol).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)