• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Energy Drinks while Breastfeeding?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:14 AM
  • 11 Replies

I'm due in 3 weeks and am planning to breastfeed my baby. 

Before I got pregnant I liked to drink Monster energy drinks, not often, just once in a while, more for taste than for the energy itself. 

I haven't touched it while I have been pregnant, and I know some women will have a beer on occasion while breastfeeding and it doesn't harm the baby.

I was wondering if having an energy drink will harm my baby in a negative way through breast milk, does anybody know? 

Thank you in advance =] 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTacoBell
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:36 AM
As far as I know, the caffiene passes in and out of the BM as it passes in and out of you.

As long as the energy lasts in you, it lasts in BM. I loved full throttle pre pregnancy, but I tell you what, with ds I had one at a week pp and I was up for 2 days. Your tolerance tanked in the last 9 months. I wouldn't suggest drinking them but if you do, be wait until you have a supplemental supply to last at least 8 hours. You don't have to pump and dump, but be prepared to be very full when you actually get to using them again. This is just from my exp, ladies feel free to correct me.

But op, I feel your pain...I want a full throttle so bad right now :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't. There are so many scary additives in there which have not had long term studies done on them.

I used to like the sugar free red bulls. Haven't had one since I was pregnant with DS who is 3!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnotherPutra
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Thank you for the responce. I will probably wait a month or so, until my milk supply is healthy, and probably only drink half a can and save the rest for another day to see how my baby will react to it. Good idea about being full, I'll remember that. 

:)

Quoting MissTacoBell:

As far as I know, the caffiene passes in and out of the BM as it passes in and out of you.

As long as the energy lasts in you, it lasts in BM. I loved full throttle pre pregnancy, but I tell you what, with ds I had one at a week pp and I was up for 2 days. Your tolerance tanked in the last 9 months. I wouldn't suggest drinking them but if you do, be wait until you have a supplemental supply to last at least 8 hours. You don't have to pump and dump, but be prepared to be very full when you actually get to using them again. This is just from my exp, ladies feel free to correct me.

MissTacoBell
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM
Look for those bottle top things (as seen on tv). Walmarts around here carry them. It was really good at keeping the energy drink from going flat after opened. I did the same thing and I sipped it over time. Granted I stopped bfing at like 4 days last time but yeah lol.

Quoting AnotherPutra:

Thank you for the responce. I will probably wait a month or so, until my milk supply is healthy, and probably only drink half a can and save the rest for another day to see how my baby will react to it. Good idea about being full, I'll remember that. 

:)

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rliperote2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:50 AM
I wouldn't drink anything like that goes to the baby make her or him hyper
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kirstyttc
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:44 AM

I had about 30ml of energy drink and my 2 weeks old daughter had a sore tummy all night she screamed and screamed, i thought it might have been sometimes i ate then i had a few sips of my partners energy drink yesterday and the same thing again it causes bad wind so id never do it again!

kathislove80
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM
I wouldn't. I know even coffee seems to make my baby cranky and wirey.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I remember trying it when my DD was just a few weeks old I think around 7 or 8 and oh man did I regret it! Talk about a wired baby, I couldn't get her to sleep if I tried! Just remember IF you decide to drink anything with caffeine make sure you are done drinking it by 2pm or it will keep the baby up.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Generally speaking, everything is back on the table after delivery.

But energy drinks really shouldn't be on the table ever.... that said; if baby doesn't react you're OK. Typically however, babies DO react to energy drinks.

Melame68
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Its not the caffine to worry about. Caffine isn't actually bad for you. Its just a ddictive. They give premies shots of straight caffine all tthe time. Its the taurine (which is bull testosterone) gives you energy and is just awful for you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)