Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One boob is defective :-(

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM
  • 5 Replies
Lol. I have a crappy latch. That or dd has a toungue tie. But she's not getting my milk out very effectively. Were still weaning her off the supplants from the hospital and were down to 2 feedings, but when she's popping off the breast, she just wants back on. Rinse repeat. She's exhausting herself sucking. It's the latch I know and no LC can seem to help me get it better (they all say it's a great latch).

Anyway, I went to wic today and they gave me a manual pump (my hero). It works on my left breast like magic! I got 2 oz after she popped off but my right I got next to nothing. Is it possible that one breast responds and the other doesn't? I can't express very well from that one either. So I've been nursing exclusivly on that side so I can alieviate my swollen boob.

Anyone have any advice? Also my nipples are slightly purple after pumping. Did I pump too long? My goal is to have enough pumped to do away with the formula and just nurse. That and dh can feed her a time or 2 while I sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mama02040608
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM
If everyone says the latch "looks" good, then get her evaluated for TT. It is very common for a good looking latch to be bad b/c of it.

My nips always looked a little purple after pumping. Probably not a great thing, but they didn't stay purple forever.

It is totally normal to have breasts that output differently. We all have an overachiever, lol :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Lol. I have a crappy latch. That or dd has a toungue tiethen get her checked out. But she's not getting my milk out very effectively. based on what?Were still weaning her off the supplants from the hospital and were down to 2 feedings, but when she's popping off the breast, she just wants back on.this is totally normal even with good latch and great supply and perfect milk transfer Rinse repeat. She's exhausting herself sucking. It's the latch I know and no LC can seem to help me get it better (they all say it's a great latch).

Anyway, I went to wic today and they gave me a manual pump (my hero). It works on my left breast like magic! I got 2 oz after she popped off but my right I got next to nothing. Is it possible that one breast responds and the other doesn't?YEP very common I can't express very well from that one either. So I've been nursing exclusivly on that side so I can alieviate my swollen boob.thats fine...whatever works

Anyone have any advice? Also my nipples are slightly purple after pumping. Did I pump too long?sounds like suction was up too high or the horn is the wrng size, medela has pictures, google breastshield fit and you can find them My goal is to have enough pumped to do away with the formula and just nurse.how much formula are you using a day? That and dh can feed her a time or 2 while I sleep.BUT you have to pump for missed feeds or your supply will take a it, you can't give a bottle unless pumping at the same general time.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Latch on latch off is actauly quite normal. And so is your pump output. Normal human females do better on one side than the other, like being right or left handed.

If DH feeds you may not sleep... you have to get up to pump. Sorry!

Seniahmom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM
In my experience (my own and discussions with friends and family) its not unusual to have an imbalance in production. My left has always had a weaker pump response than my right. For my mom it was the reverse. For one of my friends the disparity was a bit more than that.

My girlfriend's left side never produced well - never leaked, never got engorged (not even the first time her milk came in - her right side blew up to a taut balloon but her left side never felt a twinge), never got anything via hand expression or pump, and babies would get frustrated on that side if they were hungry (they'd suckle but she never heard swallowing on that side). But she successfully breastfed 2 kids primarily from the right side without supplementing for more than 18 months each! But she said she'd always offer the left in case it ever kicked in and used it as her gauge to see if they wanted comfort nursing or wanted to eat lol.

Adecdote aside, I'd definitely get baby examined for a tie. That could go a long way to helping you both out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetDoc
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Regaring the purple nipples, Make sure you're using a big enough breast shield.  One of my nipples was larger than the other and once I got a bigger shield I got a lot more pump output.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)