Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How many breastfeeding moms also pump/use a bottle?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:56 AM
  • 65 Replies

I sadly did not have success with my fairs daughter so now I am due in Aug and determined to breastfeed. I am a stay at home mommy, soon to possibly have a part time at home job. I keep talking to moms that I know who breastfed and they all keep telling me "oh I have left over freezer bags" and telling me what kind of bottles they like, and I'm like wait what are you talking about if I am going to breastfeed I'm not sticking a bottle in her mouth! These moms are also stay at home moms so I know they have the same opportunity as I do to not bottle feed. Also at the same time they are like "don't use a pacifier! they wont latch on!" lol same thing as a bottle right?! Am I nuts or do I have a valid point? 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:59 AM
I don't use bottles but it's because DD won't take them. I also don't respond well to pumps. I do keep 2-3 2 oz bottles (in bags) just in case. But really- she's had maybe 3 bottles total @ nearly 8 months. I'm not away from her that long (or often).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kirstyttc
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:37 AM

I use a pump and a bottle and my baby still latches fine, i dont believe in nipple confusion i think babys get lazy because drinking from a bottle is alot easier than drinking from a breast, at the start i couldnt breastfeed i had to use a nipple shield and pump because i had flat nipples but from 2 weeks old i managed to latch her successfully and we havnt looked back to the shield, i still pump milk as and bottle feed sometimes when my partner looks after her so i can have a nap it is possible to do both

07lilmama1108
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:59 AM
I work pt so i have a pump and use bottles then. I have a medela pump and ds will only take a medela nipple but thats only if he's in the right mood. When I'm around he only gets fed at the breast. I wish i could be a SAHM, I wouldn't give bottles unless dh and i got a date night once every couple months!! I leave 6 oz for 7 hours being gone and he only drinks 2.5 at the most. He also refuses any sort of paci.. he likes the real thing! WIC called him a smart baby because we've tried every nipple and paci made yet he only takes medela which was the first one we introduced at 6 weeks! The next day we tried a breastflow and he wouldn't take it! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeniemarie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:06 AM
i had to pump with my oldest because i had sooo much extra with her. i would only pump when she wasnt hungry and i hurt so bad from engorgement. when both kids were about 9 months i had to go back on meds so i pumped extra to keep frozen and then bottlefed them breastmilk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieLyn822
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I had to supplement at first with both babies and neither one ever had a problem going from bottle to breast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awilliams77
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:21 AM
You have a good point! My kids only took a handful of bottles. And only when dh and I got a sitter and went out, as I was a sahm.
xomrs.chase
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Question:
How will baby eat when you work?

In the beginning I would pump so I could take naps and sleep longer at night (wouldn't go longer than 4hrs without nursing). I had a hard recovery from my c-section.

I pump in the morning and freeze meals now (he's 4mo) for emergencies, date nights, and for when I start working again (long story..)

If you plan on working part time, you'll have to pump/ use a bottle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfTheBest2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I pump so my dd can eat from a bottle while I'm at work lol. But when mama is home it's booby or nothing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:34 AM
This!

Quoting MommyOfTheBest2:

I pump so my dd can eat from a bottle while I'm at work lol. But when mama is home it's booby or nothing!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:41 AM

i pump. at first i did so id have a freezer stash just in case im out or something but she refuses all cups,bottles and sippies so now i just pump to donate. i do have my own stash since im a doula and do need to leave at times for births and she needs milk then but i dont see the harm in pumping if you want for an occasional bottle once baby is a little bigger.  id wait to introduce a bottle til baby is a few weeks old. You want to make sure breastfeeding is established first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)