Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this OAL or something else or nothing?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM
  • 16 Replies

DD has always coughed and sputtered while nursing and when she was younger, she spit up a lot.  I never knew about OAL in my early nursing days, so maybe that was my problem and I never knew?  Anywy, spit up is rare now, but she spit up twice this week (both after the morning feeding), which is more than she has in a long time. Both times, it was a clear, milky fluid (not the thick chunky spitup of a newborn.)

So this morning when I was nursing her, she started coughing and then spit up that clear fluid and then didn't want to nurse any more.  I tried to offer again, but she literally spit my nipple out telling me she was done.  My boob was really full, so I know she needed more, but she clearly did not want it.  This has never happened before, so I'm just tring to figure out what is going on and if there's anything I can do about it.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moogie1005
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:52 AM
How old is your DD?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:52 AM
10.5 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Sounds like it. Do you spray out milk during a letdown?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM
I don't spray when nursing but I do when I letdown during pumping. Letdown is painful and always had been. Is that a sign of oal? Is it possible to have oal this late in the game?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Sounds like it. Do you spray out milk during a letdown?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Definetly sounds like OAL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM
So has this hurt her at all? Maybe this is the reason she is so small? Is this something I should work to correct?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM
You could try block feeding and uphill nursing. It can make then more irritable, spitty. It can cause excessive weight gain or slower weight gain. Kellymom.com has great resources.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM
If you have oversupply too it can cause slow weight gain because baby is getting too much foremilk and not enough of the fatty hindmilk. Overactive letdown usually just causes a Gassy fussy baby because all the gulping makes baby choke and take in too much air. Laidback nursing helps with the OAL. If you have oversupply, block feeding usually does the trick!

Quoting levansbx:

So has this hurt her at all? Maybe this is the reason she is so small? Is this something I should work to correct?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I just always thougth spit-up was normal for newborns.  The pedi hasn't been concerned about her weight gain, so I didn't see any red flags indicating a problem.  The potential OAL never occurred to me until she started spitting up again recently.  Why is my supply not regulated after this long? 

I'll check out Kellymom and block feeding. Block feeding might be difficult because I work full time and pump using a double electric. How will this work?

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)