Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning off of nipple shield...HELP please!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM
  • 12 Replies
My son will be seven weeks old tomorrow. I was given a nipple shield in the hospital by the LC. My son was tongue tied (which has been corrected) and she said I had inverted nipples.

I am trying to wean him off the shield. He has a bad habit of sucking and then popping off...when the shield is on it doesn't really bother me, but without the shield it is awful. I have been putting the shield on to get it to kind of pull my nipple out, then latching him on without it.

He latches on okay, sucks for thirty seconds or less, then pulls off, HARD. I relatch him and the same thing happens. I kind of sandwich my breast and nipple to help him latch. The latch itself isn't painful, the pain comes when he pops off my breast so hard.

I'm so ready to get rid of this shield. Its messy, a pain, and makes NIP really difficult. I also don't have truly inverted nipples, they appeared that way from all the swelling in the hospital. I'm a bit irritated at the LC for that, and I know we can nurse without this shield.

Any tips/suggestions? Or just keep trying? I have tried a couple different positions but without the shield he pulls off so hard every thirty seconds or so it hurts. Help! I'm really hoping to go shield free successfully.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Keep trying. You're doing the right things.

kathislove80
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM
I just wish he wouldn't pull off like he does...it hurts so badly!

Quoting gdiamante:

Keep trying. You're doing the right things.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Be preemptive, then. If he slows down, take him off before he can try to pull off.

kathislove80
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM
I would be taking him off every thirty seconds...he doesn't slow down and pull off, he just rips away

Quoting gdiamante:

Be preemptive, then. If he slows down, take him off before he can try to pull off.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpitUpDefender
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Is he pulling away for another reason?  I know for my little guy, he pulled off agressively like that because the milk was too slow for him so he was getting frustrated with the nipple.  With the shield, he likely 'pooled' milk in the shield a little so he always has flow...

Try to pump a little for him first, or pump to get your nipple 'out' more for him to suck on it easier.  When you're pumping, see how much milk is coming out, you may need to pump more to get your milk to flow more for him and then should get him to latch and stay.  The pumping will help to 'over produce' a little, use that for a couple feeds and then latch again.  Even after he's finished eating, pump more after for a couple minutes so that you can get the milk really flowing for him the next time and next time, more and more your breasts will produce faster for him.
If he's latched on for those 30 seconds and the latch feels good, then it's not your nipples or his latch, it's something maybe with the milk or flow...just a thought because I HEAR YOU, my son was doing it too and it sucked!! (pardon the pun hahaha)
Good Luck!

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have a fast flow? If so, laid back nursing is a necessity. You sit leaning back, put him tummy to tummy with you and latch. It's very very hard for them to rip off the breast if you do that. And it fills the need for tummy time!

Plus it slows down a fast flow.

kathislove80
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM
I will have to try that...I hope he can stay on like that. Thanks!

Quoting gdiamante:

Do you have a fast flow? If so, laid back nursing is a necessity. You sit leaning back, put him tummy to tummy with you and latch. It's very very hard for them to rip off the breast if you do that. And it fills the need for tummy time!

Plus it slows down a fast flow.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Thank you!! Good advice, ill try that...I'm really hoping we can have successful, NON pulling nursing!

Quoting SpitUpDefender:

Is he pulling away for another reason?  I know for my little guy, he pulled off agressively like that because the milk was too slow for him so he was getting frustrated with the nipple.  With the shield, he likely 'pooled' milk in the shield a little so he always has flow...

Try to pump a little for him first, or pump to get your nipple 'out' more for him to suck on it easier.  When you're pumping, see how much milk is coming out, you may need to pump more to get your milk to flow more for him and then should get him to latch and stay.  The pumping will help to 'over produce' a little, use that for a couple feeds and then latch again.  Even after he's finished eating, pump more after for a couple minutes so that you can get the milk really flowing for him the next time and next time, more and more your breasts will produce faster for him.
If he's latched on for those 30 seconds and the latch feels good, then it's not your nipples or his latch, it's something maybe with the milk or flow...just a thought because I HEAR YOU, my son was doing it too and it sucked!! (pardon the pun hahaha)
Good Luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hooraywesay
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM
My little guy is 7 weeks old as well. We've been weaned off the shield for 3 days now :-) He started that crazy pulling today. My left nip feels bruised. :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM
My son would open wide and then pull off right when he latched. The shield worked for us but he didn't wean off of it until four months. Sucked but one day he just decided he didn't want it anymore. He still is nursing good at 32 months. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)