Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Latching issue

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM
  • 6 Replies
My ds was born tongue tied which was corrected shortly after his birth. Now 2 months later the way he is latching is causing my nipples to crack which in turn causes me great pain when I nurse him. Not quitting ever, need ideas on correcting his latch to prevent any future cracking.
Julie Pickett
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM

If your insurance covers a lactation consultant I would go see one and get some tips. If not when you see the latch is wrong un latch and re latch until correct. And as far as the cracking nipples go breast milk works wonders use it instead of a cream just let it air dry on your nipples.

lilmama479
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Thanks.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Have you checked out some youtube videos on latch?  Were you ever shown how to make a proper latch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zln0LTkejIs

Good luck!

mama02040608
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Did the latch improve after the tie was clipped? If it did and this is new, work on latch just like a newborn. Latch, unlatch, repeat. If it hasn't improved since the clipping, it may need to be evaluated as sometimes they don't clip enough, depending on the type and severity of the tie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindseyLou531
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Ugh!  My son had the same problem.  It didn't really get better until he was almost 4 months old.  I tried everything to change his latch and to help soothe the nips.  The best thing I found is breast shells.  NOT the silicone fake-nipple-on-top-of-real-nipple during feedings, but a hard plastic "dome" shell that you wear between feedings.  Also, my lactation consultant had me use neosporin on the nips between feedings, just make sure you wash it off before feeding.  The plastic shells helped keep anything from rubbing on the nipple, and I still go to them every once in a while when I randomly get sore/dry nips.  Good luck.

lilmama479
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM
This my 4th child, but he is the only one who had the tongue tied problem. This is new, started within in last week. Will continue to find a better latch with him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)