Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it ok to give my son water yet?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM
  • 9 Replies
He's almost 6 months (couple weeks) I'm breastfeeding (no bottles ever) and we just started to give him a little bit of baby food a day. Is it safe to give him a little water in a beginner sippy cup? I was just thinking he may like it esp since its getting in the upper 90s and 100s this week in Texas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JADIEBUG
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM

You can(wait till at least 6 months) but really there is no need to do so. Your BM provides complete hydration.

Also why the rush with baby food too?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM

You can, but only a tiny bit as 'practice' with the sippy.  Make sure you're nursing before any solids (until baby turns 1).  As long as baby is nursing on demand and diaper count is good, baby is getting all the fluids he needs...which means there's no need for water.  

We're hitting 92 here today - I am so not happy about that.  :P

Keeely07
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM
He's a big boy. I was really wanting to wait till 6 months or longer but he was grabbing for our food. When we "tried" it he scarfed it down and was so happy. I don't go overboard though. He never can finish a little container of baby food. We use like half of one in one full day.

Quoting JADIEBUG:

You can(wait till at least 6 months) but really there is no need to do so. Your BM provides complete hydration.

Also why the rush with baby food too?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Keeely07
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Crap! I always thought feed first them nurse. Good to know! Thanks. We've only started like 3 days ago anyway :)

Quoting 081499:

You can, but only a tiny bit as 'practice' with the sippy.  Make sure you're nursing before any solids (until baby turns 1).  As long as baby is nursing on demand and diaper count is good, baby is getting all the fluids he needs...which means there's no need for water.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FLmommy0204
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Yes, that's fine.  Chances are, he won't get much out of the sippy just yet.  I like water since they can spill it all over and not stain their clothing :) My dd would get a bunch in her mouth then instead of swallowing, open her mouth and let it all run out. 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Ha!  It's okay.  Just switch back.  Until baby turns one, solids are dessert - always after nursing.

Also - many of us will suggest you wait until at least 6 months to start solids.  Check out info on delaying solids on Kellymom.com.  Baby grabbing at food is no indication that he's ready - he'd grab at a lit cigarette, too, if given the chance.  ;)  Just something to think about...  :)

Quoting Keeely07:

Crap! I always thought feed first them nurse. Good to know! Thanks. We've only started like 3 days ago anyway :)

Quoting 081499:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

YES its fine to give water in a sippy with solids..no more than about 3 oz a day though..and BM is better for dehydration than water

Keeely07
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Yeah I know...he grabs at everything but when we gave him baby food he loved it and actually ate it without spitting it out.

Quoting 081499:

Ha!  It's okay.  Just switch back.  Until baby turns one, solids are dessert - always after nursing.

Also - many of us will suggest you wait until at least 6 months to start solids.  Check out info on delaying solids on Kellymom.com.  Baby grabbing at food is no indication that he's ready - he'd grab at a lit cigarette, too, if given the chance.  ;)  Just something to think about...  :)

Quoting Keeely07:

Quoting 081499:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM
This. I marked a line on ds' sippies at 3oz and filled to that and that was his sulphur for the day. He never got close to drinking it all, but I was a paranoid 1st time mom! Lol

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

YES its fine to give water in a sippy with solids..no more than about 3 oz a day though..and BM is better for dehydration than water

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)