Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby's sleep - what's normal

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM
  • 11 Replies

I posted this in another forum, but I thought I'd ask the bf mommas specifically too!!

I have an 8 months old, breastfed DD. She has met milestones early/on time and is a happy baby most of the time, so I'm not really worried about her development.

She has had the same general routine since about 3 months old. BUT she hardly sleeps more than 4 hours at any given time (The most she has ever gone is 6 hours on a random day - not at night) And during the day she takse 4, 30 - 45 minute mini naps. She goes to bed at 10 pm, wakes at 12 am, 3am, and then 7am. Takes her naps at 10 am, 1pm, 4pm, then 7pm. She had about a months span where she slept from 10pm - 2 am but then we all got really sick, after we got rid of that she get an ear infection about a week later. But since then I have been stuck in this routine and she gets so upset (to the point of gagging/coughing) when I put her down in her crib to get her to try to sleep on her own - so I usually end up nursing to sleep. (SO maybe she's learned to pull my strings)

This is something I thought she would grow out of - like I said she is 8 months old - so I hoped she wouldn't be sleeping like a newborn by now. And I have attributed her disturbed sleep to illness/moving to a new house/company staying with us - but now we haven't had any exterior causes for disturbing our schedule (other than maybe teething) for quite a while. We have the same routine everyday - which is great but I'm afriad she isn't getting enough REM sleep if she is only sleeping in short bursts.

She is a light sleeper so we have white noise playing and I also make sure she sleeps away from her playing big brother.

Anyhow sorry for it being so long but has anyone else's LO done something like this with thier sleep schedule and/OR when should I be worried and talk to her DR?

also  - going for a drive in the car does not help her sleep longer. (She is SO opposite of my DS, now 3)

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LKRA
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM

You just described my daughter. :)

She stopped acting like a fool around the age of 2. lol

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Sounds totally normal from my experience.   My first was just like that, minus ever sleeping longer than 2 hours his entire first year... but the 45 min naps were very typical of him.   My second took longer naps, but woke every 2-4 hours overnight for nearly 3 years. 

Totally, totally normal... I think I would have freaked out if my babies slept longer than that!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM
I think its normal for a 6 week old to sleep 12hr or a 18 month old to still be up several times a night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Could be normal .. I just found out that babies can have sleep apnia don't know if I spelt that right causing them not to sleep well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Four hours at a time sounds like heaven, LOL.  My first two kids didn't do that until they were close to 2 years old

Kandiface
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM
I'm so thankful to have a child who had mostly slept for 8-12 hrs at a time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ty355172
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM
4 hours!?! Be happy! 5 is technically through the night..dd is a terribkesleeper...i feel ur pain! Your schedule during the dsy does seem to have alot of naps....maybe try cutting out one? ??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newbabystarr09
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:49 PM

My DS2 11 weeks 2 days old will sleep 6 to 7 hours at night if he sleeps in his own bed next to mine..But if I co-sleep he nurses every 2 hours..I guess because he's near me and nap he will take 2 hour nap..

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Only one of my three kids was sleeping in 4 hr stretches at that age. The other 2 were sleeping 2 hrs max.

I always nursed them to sleep, every time, until they were at least a year old. I'm a big fan of using the "nurse to sleep" tool!

The one thing I'd suggest is that maybe you could try eliminating that 7 pm nap and see if she can go to bed a bit earlier?
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

She sounds 100% normal. Don't expect dusk to dawn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)