Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Pump?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM
  • 14 Replies

I plan to breastfeed my baby, but when she is 12 weeks old or so, I will be returning to work, so I will need to pump. Pumps are so insanely expensive! Does anyone have a recomendation of a pump that works great, but isn't so expensive?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I had the First Years double electric Natural Comfort breast pump.I bought it at Walmart for $50 and it worked perfectly. You can also check with your insurance company and see if they cover breast pumps.My insurance company does so I was able to get a "prescription" for one from my daughter's pediatrician and sent that along with my receipt for the pump to the insurance company and they reimbursed us for it.

lordkanarven
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I'm not using it every day but my manual medela works fine. I think it was about 40 bucks. I think if your doing every day use you might want something a little more fancy but I have no complaints about it

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:50 PM

The cheapest pump that is high quality enough for pumping while working is the Ameda purely yours.   You can find it for about $150.   I have also heard that the Lansinoh affinity is the same as the Ameda, just repackaged, and I've seen that one for $120. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
AshleySail
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM
If you are on wic talk to them they could give you one for free...
I boutght a medeladouble electric pump and I love it, but it was expensive..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Talk to your insurance and save your receipt because you get a tax break for breast pump. You honestly get what you pay for with pumps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CmC1307
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

i asked for one for my baby shower and my aunt bought it for me i got the medela pump in style advanced and i absolutely love it but its expensive i think around 250.00 or so. You will definitely get what you pay for, the more expensive the better the pump and the less time you will have to stay attached to it.

CafeMom Tickers
ria7
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I hae the Medela pump in style and it is worth every penny! I bought mine from someone for $100 and then ordered new hoses and valves on amazon. Check out cragislist for a good deal.

kittiecat88
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM
I just got one thru wic as well, it works great

Quoting AshleySail:

If you are on wic talk to them they could give you one for free...

I boutght a medeladouble electric pump and I love it, but it was expensive..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000

A mom who is going to be working full time, or for any reason will need to pump 2 or more times a day, will find it was money well spent when they invest in a high quality breast pump. Breast pumps are definitely a place where “you get what you pay for”. The best quality pumps are made by companies who specialize in making pumps, not bottle companies. 

Keep in mind that if you buy a cheap pump and you are not able to pump enough milk when back at work, you'll likely end up buying formula, which will most likely end up costing mroe in the long run.

If you qualify for WIC, they may provide a pump for you. You may be able to get reimbursed by your insurance company for a pump purchase.

These are to top three single user pumps on the market today, along with approximate price, warranty, whether it is an open or closed system, and if the company that makes and sells it is WHO CODE compliant:

Hygeia Enjoye ($200-$300): 3 year warranty, closed system, WHO CODE compliant.

Ameda Purely Yours ($150): 1 year warranty, closed system, WHO CODE compliant.

Medela Pump in Style or Freestyle ($250-$350); 1 year warranty, open system, not WHO CODE compliant.

Avoid these brands: First Years, Playtex, Evenflo

What is the difference between an open and closed system? 

With an open system it is possible for the milk to spray into or back up into the motor. There is no way to clean the motor and there is the possibility that mold could grow. Also, if used by another mother, germs from one mother’s milk can go into the other mothers milk through the pump.

Closed system pumps are just what they seem. There is no way for the milk to come into contact with the motor. Theoretically, any closed system pump would be safe to be used by more than one person (with their own tubing and other external pump parts). Hygeia is the only pump company that has sought and received FDA approval for their pump to be used by more than one person.

What is the WHO CODE and why is it important when buying a breast pump?

Jmama3
I have an Avent and love it. I'd kill for a Medela tho!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)