Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

fenugreek question

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ok so i am kind of confused. Up until about 3 days ago i was getting tons of milk when i would pump. First think in the morning i would get like 5 oz on each side and throughout the day i would get 3-5 oz per pumping session per side every 3-4 hours and I could feel my breasts fill up and need to be emptied. I started taking fenugreek cuz people recommended it for increasing production so i would be able to keep up with her increase in ounce intake over the next few weeks and I feel like since i started taking it 3 days ago im producing less. After not pumping all night I pumped this morning for instance and only got 3.5 oz per side! What happened???!!! Im worried I want to give her breastmilk for the whole first year and im so scared my supply will run out ! Help !

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LKRA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Are you nursing?

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Whoa! lol are you exclusively pumping??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CmC1307
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM

we try to nurse, using a nipple shield but she is not cooperative and really doesnt get a good latch so I am pretty much just pumping and bottle feeding her with breast milk 

Quoting LKRA:

Are you nursing?

CafeMom Tickers
CmC1307
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM

pretty much- we try to nurse with a shield but she wont get a good latch.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Whoa! lol are you exclusively pumping??

CafeMom Tickers
MylilBlessings3
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:00 PM
LKRA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Okay, one more question. lol

What does this part in red mean?

I started taking fenugreek cuz people recommended it for increasing production so i would be able to keep up with her increase in ounce intake over the next few weeks

CmC1307
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM

meaning that i am pumping exactly 3 to 3.5 oz on each side at each pump session which 3 to 3.5 oz is how much she is eating at one feeding but when she goes up to 4 oz or more im worried my production wont go up with her.

Quoting LKRA:

I started taking fenugreek cuz people recommended it for increasing production so i would be able to keep up with her increase in ounce intake over the next few weeks

CafeMom Tickers
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM
It's not like formula where the amount has to increase :)
Breastfed babies should be given no more than 3 oz every 3 hours. Anything more than that is stretching her belly.

Quoting CmC1307:

meaning that i am pumping exactly 3 to 3.5 oz on each side at each pump session which 3 to 3.5 oz is how much she is eating at one feeding but when she goes up to 4 oz or more im worried my production wont go up with her.

Quoting LKRA:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CmC1307
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM

So will she never eat more than that ? Like if i use breastmilk the whole first year she will never be eating like 6 or 8 oz at a feeding ? I guess im comparing it to the formula fed babies Ive worked with but I know that they were usually on 4 oz when they started at 6-12 weeks old and then by the time they were a year had been increased to 6-8oz per feeding but every 4 hours instead of 3.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Breastfed babies should be given no more than 3 oz every 3 hours. Anything more than that is stretching her belly.

Quoting CmC1307:

Quoting LKRA:

CafeMom Tickers
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Up until around 6 months old, their intake is pretty much the same. After that I guess you could increase alittle bit. Either way, smaller frequent feedings are always better for their bellies and digestion, and prevents stretching of their tummys.

Quoting CmC1307:

So will she never eat more than that ? Like if i use breastmilk the whole first year she will never be eating like 6 or 8 oz at a feeding ? I guess im comparing it to the formula fed babies Ive worked with but I know that they were usually on 4 oz when they started at 6-12 weeks old and then by the time they were a year had been increased to 6-8oz per feeding but every 4 hours instead of 3.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting CmC1307:

Quoting LKRA:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN