Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

infuriated ... vent

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM
  • 9 Replies
Ok so this past wkend I celebrated my bday at our house. My,mom was there my in laws were there my cousins were there. I wanted to have a good time with my brothers and my twin sister so my mom offered to look after my ebf 4 mth old son. He was due for a feeding so I pumped a 4 oz bottle so she can give him. Well today my mom was telling me that both my MIL and FIL were questioning how much I was feeding him that day and that it wasnt enough and that the older they get they need to eat more. U dont know how bad this pist me off my blood was boiling and I was just so pist that they would question on how I was feeding my son. It made me think what else they really think of my parenting skills. Im sry but I dont over feed my kids, im sry but my kids wont be fat and obese like ur kids are, im sry but my kids arent going to have diabetes at 18 cause I over feed them they're whole life and gave them what they want. Worry about being a grandparent and not how I feed my kids or how much they eat.

Vent over
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM
I'm sorry mama :(
That's a sore spot for me too. DD is 13 months old and everytime we visit with family they always "ask" her if she's hungry because apparently being g breastfed and petite means I must not be feeding her enough. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Cowboysgirl1988
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Sorry about the drama. I went through a breast feeding period. Only prob was, I was starving my son and didnt know it. Breastfeeding became an emotional topic. My 1st 2 kids I bottle fed, and I decided I would try with my last. My milk was always strong with my 1st 2 kids. After a week of feeding and my baby still acting hungry constantly we got a breast pump to give my poor boobs a break. Out of both breast I didnt even produce a single full oz. I had been starving him and didnt know he wasnt getting enough. I still feel terrible even though he is 2 and hasnt had a bottle since his 1st bday. I cant even imagine having someone questioning my feeding and parenting skills. I would be verry upset!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM

As frustrating as that is, it's best to learn the whole "smile and nod" technique.  Just because people say things doesn't mean they're questioning your parenting skills - it could just be that that is truely what they believe.  Instead of getting mad, educate.  And then, if they still feel the need to say something, then you can get mad.  ;)

mama02040608
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:49 PM
3 moms liked this
Pump output has nothing to do with your supply, although your output was 100% normal. Babies often act like that during growth spurts and are actually just fine. If your baby was dirtying 6 diapers a day and meeting milestones and gaining weight, then he was not starving. We just have this idea that all babies should behave a certain way...and often they don't. It is also hard going from FF to BF. Different mindset and different ways of gauging if baby's getting enough...your breasts don't have oz markers, right? ;)

I don't say this to make you feel bad about anything, just to make you and anyone else who reads this understand that there are certain ways to determine how BF babies are getting enough food.

Quoting Cowboysgirl1988:

Sorry about the drama. I went through a breast feeding period. Only prob was, I was starving my son and didnt know it. Breastfeeding became an emotional topic. My 1st 2 kids I bottle fed, and I decided I would try with my last. My milk was always strong with my 1st 2 kids. After a week of feeding and my baby still acting hungry constantly we got a breast pump to give my poor boobs a break. Out of both breast I didnt even produce a single full oz. I had been starving him and didnt know he wasnt getting enough. I still feel terrible even though he is 2 and hasnt had a bottle since his 1st bday. I cant even imagine having someone questioning my feeding and parenting skills. I would be verry upset!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FLmommy0204
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM

My mom thought my dd needed 6 ounces because she was 6 months old.  At almost one, she still takes 4 oz bottles.  Try not to let it get to you, they just don't know any better.

Bgbluford785
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
That sucks in laws can be a bit like that. I never feel like I'm good enough and they always do things that under mind me so I feel you pain. We know what's best for our children bc they are with us 24\7.
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Yah the joys of dealing with those uneducated in breastfeeding. You know your doing the right thing. Sorry they gave you crap
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
McM0609
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Thats the,thing ive explain to them every time I feed him the samething,cause,they always ask me how much do I give him. I tell them bm is different from formula and my bm is always changing to his needs,but they always question me.

Quoting 081499:

As frustrating as that is, it's best to learn the whole "smile and nod" technique.  Just because people say things doesn't mean they're questioning your parenting skills - it could just be that that is truely what they believe.  Instead of getting mad, educate.  And then, if they still feel the need to say something, then you can get mad.  ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN