Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Plugged montgomery gland

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM
  • 4 Replies

I'm nursing my third child who's 9 months old.  Beginning last night, I noticed some pain on one side while he was nursing, and thought it was his teeth.  It turned out there was a sore bump on my areola just above the nipple.  It's the same shape as my nipple, but about a third of the size.  It hurts for anything to touch it, but it's not unbearable to nurse him, so I'll keep nursing on that side.

I Googled around and saw "plugged montgomery gland", which is the gland that supposedly secretes something antibacterial, maybe a lubricant..?  

Has anyone had something like this, and know how to treat it?  Kellymom has nothing about it.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
RADmomma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

BUMP!

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM
When I got plugged ducts I massaged the knot while he nursed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I can't find any info on it, even in my huge 25 lb Breastfeeding Answer Book. I'd try some warm compresses and or warm water soaks.

Delaneysmom07
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Leave it to me to have an almost completely unheard of breastfeeding issue.  I don't even know it's a breastfeeding issue, or just a breast issue.  Montgomery glands are the little bumps that are always on the areola, and one of mine has become very swollen and tender.  

I will try the warm water and see if that helps.  Thanks!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I can't find any info on it, even in my huge 25 lb Breastfeeding Answer Book. I'd try some warm compresses and or warm water soaks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)