Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM
  • 22 Replies
Ds turns one at the end of June. 20th to be exact. Bfing has been great and I love our bond. In fact I'm a little sad that this chapter is almost over. I know it should continue but i am in need of better drugs than Zoloft. The Zoloft is actually not even working anymore. DH is about to be deployed and I am already in need of better Rx. So in saying all of this I need the best advice possible on weaning my baby boy in the best way without making him feel bad. If that makes sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessihernandez
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Since he's a bit younger, it might not be too bad. I'm sure the other ladies will pop in with some other safe meds for you, but, as far as weaning goes, kellymom.com has some great tips. Start with his least desired feedings (probably the ones not around bed time) and switch to a formula or other type of milk (I hear almond tastes most like BM) since he'll be over 1. One feeding a day per week until he's switched entirely over. So, maybe his second feeding of the day for the first week, then the next week that one and one other one, etc. Any faster and you could risk an infection and it would be harder on him as well. Best wishes to you, I hope you can start feeling better soon.

sreichelt26
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Have you made sure you can't nurse while on the meds? 

If so, the best I know is to drop one feeding one day, then another a few days later. The best I can give you is a kellymom link since I've never weaned:

http://kellymom.com/ages/weaning/wean-how/weaning-techniques/

TJD22
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Thanks!

mama02040608
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM
This. Make double and triple sure that whatever new med is really off limits (which is unlikely, btw) first. Weaning can cause hormonal shifts which can worsen depression, so be aware of that as well.

If you still have to/want to wean, take it slowly for both of your sakes.

Quoting sreichelt26:

If so, the best I know is to drop one feeding one day, then another a few days later. The best I can give you is a kellymom link since I've never weaned:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Quoting mama02040608:

This. Make double and triple sure that whatever new med is really off limits (which is unlikely, btw) first. Weaning can cause hormonal shifts which can worsen depression, so be aware of that as well.

If you still have to/want to wean, take it slowly for both of your sakes.

Quoting sreichelt26:

I agree. You do risk your depression worsening from weaning, and there are very few drugs that are not safe. The benefits of continued breastfeeding may still outweigh the risks of the meds.

Keeping that ursing "tool" with a toddler is really helpful, espeically with DH leaving etc. It is scuh a great way to get time to relax and rest when you have a toddler who is bouncing off the wall and needing constant supervison and attention. I provides a lot of needed down time.

TJD22
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Really you think that there are few drugs out there I can take? Why is it that I was told I could only take Zoloft? That was fine at the time but now not working. Anyway I will set up an appt and see what doc says I was just curious. I would rather baby boy self wean.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Don't listen to a doctor, check it out on lactmed.

Quoting TJD22:

Really you think that there are few drugs out there I can take? Why is it that I was told I could only take Zoloft? That was fine at the time but now not working. Anyway I will set up an appt and see what doc says I was just curious. I would rather baby boy self wean.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boom_maker
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Doctors really don't know much about meds and bfing. I was told to wean so I could take ibuprofen when I had an ear infection=/ I'm sure some lovely ladies here can help with links for what's safe and what's not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM
On kellymom there is Dr Hale's hierarchy of antidepressants. Top is safest (most studied) right on down to least studied but still acceptable. There is also his infant risk hotline where you can call and speak to a human to break down the risks and benefits of a particular med.

Zoloft isn't the only one, just the most studied.

Quoting TJD22:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arisce
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:38 PM

DD was 2 when I started paxil. It's not safe for pregnancy, but it IS okay for breastfeeding. I didn't start til DD was 2, but after this baby comes I know I'll need it again. I'm hoping I can wait the first 3 months(or longer) but if I'm too nuts I'll take paxil again. The lowest dose I can, which for me will be 12.5mg CR once a day. 

Quoting TJD22:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)