Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting wisdom teeth out! What do I do?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 5 Replies

So I have been EBF Avery for about 3 months now. I have a consultation on the 30th about getting my wisdom teeth out. I was supposed to have them taken out last September but I was pregnant so I couldn't. I know the doctor is going to want them out asap. Plus I have to get 2 molars out too. They want to do it all at the same time! I'm so nervous, but I don't know what to do about feeding Avery. I can pump a couple bottles for that day, but I don't know if I will need to take pain meds cause I will be getting 6 teeth out. I do not want to have to stop breastfeeding her because of this. Has anyone here had their wisdom teeth removed while breastfeeding?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Not while bfing but ive had all four removed and didnt need meds, plus most are completely safe to nurse with. Once you are able to safely hold your baby you can nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megan1213
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Great! I was just really worried about not being able to nurse her right away. I'm also really worried cause she still refuses the bottle, and she is going to have to eat while I'm getting them out.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Not while bfing but ive had all four removed and didnt need meds, plus most are completely safe to nurse with. Once you are able to safely hold your baby you can nurse.

CafeMom Tickers
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:29 PM

You only need enough pumped milk for while you are away for the procedure, even if you do need pain meds. Remember, new moms are given pain meds right after birth all the time.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/dentalwork/

Dental Work and Breastfeeding

JULY 29, 2011. Posted in: ILLNESS, SURGERY & MEDICAL PROCEDURES

(x-rays, local anesthesia, sedation and more)

By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

Both x-rays and novocaine (and other drugs used for local anesthesia, such as bupivacaine andlidocaine) are considered to be compatible with breastfeeding.

Most medications used for oral and IV sedation are considered compatible with breastfeeding.

Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) sedation is also considered to be compatible with breastfeeding. It is virtually insoluble in the bloodstream, which means it goes from your brain to your lungs to the room air immediately after you stop breathing it in. Per Hale, “it is rapidly eliminated from the body due to rapid exchange with nitrogen via the pulmonary alveoli (within minutes). A rapid recovery generally occurs within 3-5 minutes… Ingestion of nitrous oxide orally via milk is unlikely.” See Conscious Sedation for more information.

A mother who has wisdom tooth surgery should not need to interrupt breastfeeding at all (except during the surgery, of course). To minimize baby’s exposure (and increase mom’s comfort), mom can nurse just before she goes in for the procedure. There is no need to wait on breastfeeding afterwards or to pump and dump — mom can nurse as soon as she feels alert enough to hold baby. See Breastfeeding when mom has surgery for more information on breastfeeding and general anesthesia.

There are many pain medications compatible with breastfeeding. See Pain medications and breastfeeding for more information.

mama02040608
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM
I had mine out while ebf a 4mo. I was asleep and BF once I felt ok. He did get a couple bottles between when I was out and when I felt well enough to BF. I personally didn't need stronger than motrin for pain, but even if you do, they give c/s moms the same meds.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alliemad_3
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM
I had two wisdom teeth taken out when G was 3 months old. I was put out and all that jazz.

I nursed him literally until I walked out the door. By the time I got home, I was ok to nurse. And I just did my best to time the pain pills around his feedings. I never had to give him a bottle.

Right about now I think I could handle having the other two taken out just for a day (or two...I could milk it...) in bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)