• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No longer too shy to nurse in public

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM
  • 5 Replies

I used to pump in case we went out and he got hungry. Well today wewent to the library and one mother was wearing this blanket which had a strap to put around her neck. She was sitting there nursing her baby and I asked her where she got it. When we got back, I tookone of his bankets and sewed on something to slip around my neck. Tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment and I will not take a bottle with me! I was wondering if you nurse in public and if you do, what do you use?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Go ahead and cover if that will make you mroe comfortable, even if it is just to get baby latched on. If you want to blend into the background and not draw attention to yourself then I suggest no cover. How did you know that mom was breastfeeding? The cover :-)

Here are my thoughts, see what you think of the photos:

Breastfeeding In Public

To cover or not to cover. That is the question. What if you want to breastfeed your baby, but you don't want anyone to "see anything"?

Why is nursing in public (aka NIP) such a big deal right now anyway?

I had my first baby in 2000, almost 12 years ago. He was exclusively breastfed. I breast-fed him whenever and wherever we were the entire 14 months that I was nursing him. Special "nursing covers" were a lot less popular back then, though I did see them on occasion. I never used a cover or blanket to try and "hide" what we were doing. I'm pretty modest and don't like to draw attention to myself. I was uncomfortable at the thought of exposing my breast to someone, so I quickly learned how to lift my shirt just enough to slip baby onto the breast.

I found I drew little attention from the public when I was nursing my baby. I began to realize, what many moms have since told me, that most people don't even realize that you're breastfeeding. When you are nursing your baby, without a cover. most people think you are holding a sleeping baby.

I LOVE this photo (above) because the mom in the picture reports, "My mom posted it on Facebook three days ago and JUST NOW realized that baby was nursing!"

Now, 12 years later I'm nursing my third child. It is making me crazy that so many women do not feel comfortable nursing in public. Many think that in order to be "discrete" or because they feel modest that a cover is the way to go. The reality is using a cover draws MORE attention. If you want  no one to notice you, just nurse!

My message: Just do it!

Who is drawing more attention? This mom:

Or this mom?
Udder Cover

Do you see anything that needs to be covered up? Anything mom should feel embarrassed about?

Do you see any breasts?

This really says it all:

http://jonirae.com/

A BIG thanks to the moms from Cafemom who shared their NIP photos with me and allowed me to use them in this post.

Breastfeeding in public favorites:

NikkiDoll
I NIP and I don't use a cover. I just make sure to be discreet about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lordkanarven

I just throw a blanket over my shoulder.

Join me in Blues Mamas if you have a passion for music!
lundaylove
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:05 PM

i dont use a cover. just a nursing tank under my regular shirts. unclip tank lift up top shirt pop baby on and cover the top of my breast with top shirt. easy peasy

comf
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Glad you got over your fear!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)