• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my descreet BFing post

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM
  • 14 Replies
4 moms liked this
I was visiting my grandma earlier today. We were sitting around and talking with my sister. My DD climbed into my lap and I fed her.

Later we started talking about my 8 month old niece. My grandma then looked at me and asked if I still BF my 15 month old. I said yes, of course I do, and that I'd just done it about fifteen minutes ago. She and my sister never noticed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:52 PM
So true!
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM
lol awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Me and DH watched this show on Amish people and they were interviewing a couple in a buggy with a baby.   The baby was totally nursing... I could tell because I know the mannerisms of a nursing baby (reaching up, playing with mom's neckline, head stays still, etc...), but it occured to me that you probably wouldn't notice unless you actually knew what a nursing child looked like.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
kathislove80
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM
That's awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a blog post to try and show that nursing looks like "nothing"!

Breastfeeding In Public

To cover or not to cover. That is the question. What if you want to breastfeed your baby, but you don't want anyone to "see anything"?

Why is nursing in public (aka NIP) such a big deal right now anyway?

I had my first baby in 2000, almost 12 years ago. He was exclusively breastfed. I breast-fed him whenever and wherever we were the entire 14 months that I was nursing him. Special "nursing covers" were a lot less popular back then, though I did see them on occasion. I never used a cover or blanket to try and "hide" what we were doing. I'm pretty modest and don't like to draw attention to myself. I was uncomfortable at the thought of exposing my breast to someone, so I quickly learned how to lift my shirt just enough to slip baby onto the breast.

I found I drew little attention from the public when I was nursing my baby. I began to realize, what many moms have since told me, that most people don't even realize that you're breastfeeding. When you are nursing your baby, without a cover. most people think you are holding a sleeping baby.

I LOVE this photo (above) because the mom in the picture reports, "My mom posted it on Facebook three days ago and JUST NOW realized that baby was nursing!"

Now, 12 years later I'm nursing my third child. It is making me crazy that so many women do not feel comfortable nursing in public. Many think that in order to be "discrete" or because they feel modest that a cover is the way to go. The reality is using a cover draws MORE attention. If you want  no one to notice you, just nurse!

My message: Just do it!

Who is drawing more attention? This mom:

Or this mom?
Udder Cover

Do you see anything that needs to be covered up? Anything mom should feel embarrassed about?

Do you see any breasts?

This really says it all:

http://jonirae.com/

A BIG thanks to the moms from Cafemom who shared their NIP photos with me and allowed me to use them in this post.

Breastfeeding in public favorites:

annaica
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Lol you're good. What were you wearing, may I ask? I have to move shirts around and I am sure people would notice. I like the breastfeeding shirts, why they're so expensive is just a shame.
Koux
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM
love, love, LOVE this post! I seriously want to print it out and stick it up on my wall. :) but really, I WILL be bookmarking this. My family hasn't really been exposed to breastfeeding at all, so i've been a bit nervous to be the first one to do it. I feel the burden of "blazing the trail", so to speak. Hopefully by showing confidence, taking care of baby's needs, and still being modest (even without a cover), I can show my sisters how normal and natural breastfeeding is. Thank you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Very awesome!! Great job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM
I just use a stretchy necked tank top under my regular shirt. Pull first shirt up, and pull tank top (and bra) down. Basically your boob is in a shirt sandwich - top shirt, boob, bottom shirt! :)

Quoting annaica:

Lol you're good. What were you wearing, may I ask? I have to move shirts around and I am sure people would notice. I like the breastfeeding shirts, why they're so expensive is just a shame.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Glowing4Caleb
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Ok, so I nursed my first son for 12 months and am currently nursing my 3 month old. I have to say, I really appreciate this post. I always feel all awkward getting going (lifting the shirt, pulling down bra, getting crying baby to breast. LOL) But, this makes it look easy. I think, by looking at the pictures, I was making it harder for myself - and my baby! I dont often nurse in public, but I do go to my son's daycare at lunch every day to nurse him and this post was very helpful! Thank you! (I gotta say this was mainly directed to the person who wrote the blog! ha! )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)