Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for a friend ..

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM
  • 4 Replies
Is there a formula out there with no milk AND no soy? Her son is showing all the signs of a milk protein allergy, but shes EPing and "not making enough" so she's ready to switch .. Not getting into all of that lol. So anyway, does one exist??
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
sreichelt26
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:02 PM

There's one formula - can't remember the exact name - but she needs a prescription and it's very expensive.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I believe Alimentum or Neocate is what she's wanting... is she independently wealthy? Because they're NOT cheap.

larissalarie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Alimentum or Nutramagan (hypoallergenic formula)is probably where she should start. Those are about twice as much as regular name brand formula and they actually still contain milk it's just been much more heavily processed than standard formula to break the proteins down more and make it easier for sensitive babies to digest. Then if her baby still can't handle that, she looking at infinitely more expensive, prescription formula Neocate or Elecare.

Some babies that are sensitive can't handle ANY formula. There mothers are stuck having to still alter their diet in order to try to relactate OR be at the mercy of trying to find suitable donor breastmilk.
Not to scare her out of formula, just something to be aware of before going the formula route.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM
It used to be that a lot of insurance companies wouldn't cover the first even with a prescription because they deem formula "not medically necessary" so she might want to check with her doctor and insurance before she takes any action.

I know that when my son (more 10) was diagnosed with MSPI the formula was going to cost us about $800 per month and our insurance company said they wouldn't help at all. I ended up eliminating all dairy and soy from my diet and continued to nurse. When my 7 yo was diagnosed as an infant, the new insurance company wouldn't help either but I wasn't counting in it because of my previous experience.

Quoting sreichelt26:

There's one formula - can't remember the exact name - but she needs a prescription and it's very expensive.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)