Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Advice from donating moms

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM
mel
  • 14 Replies
I still have so much milk and soak through 2-4 pads a day. I've contemplated begining to pump and donate. Wshen I used to pump at work (2010-2011) I could pump 16-30oz in 8 hrs.
1. So how would I get hooked up with a mom in need?
2. How would I pump in connection with 6hr blocks? I dont want to mess up my supply to much.
3. Any thing I should know about donating?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Randomtrixie
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM
I would recommend looking up the Human Milk Banking Association of North America and call the closest milk bank listed. They pay for all shipping and testing. I did it and it was really a wonderful experience. You can be sure your milk will be going to those babies with the most severe medical needs. Currently there is a huge nationwide shortage of milk bank donor milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jrsmommy0427
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this
I donated using human milk for human babies on fb! What a great experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randomtrixie
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Also, what I would do if I were you is just pick 1-2 times a day when you're fullest and just pump then. Label the milk with the date pumped and if you took any herbs or medications in the last 24 hours. They will send you a list of what's okay to take and how close to pumping (the requirements are more restrictive because the milk goes to micro preemies).

Mom to a 3.5 year old DS, 41", 36 lbs, and now FFing.

DD, VBAC October '11, future ERFer!

Radian Superlatch Problems?

I believe in science!  That's why I vaccinate, EBF, and ERF!

PZRM
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM
So cool! I know nothing except it exists and is a uber awesome idea, but these other ladies seem to know alot! :) Very very neat thing. I'm sure all the needy babies' moms/dads would greatly appreciate it!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shelley11709
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM
I do 12 hr blocks and what I do is pump/express just enough to soften the really full side before offering it to DS.
I used human milk for human babies on fb. I think within a day I found someone to donate to and dropped it off. If you go with a milk bank you will most likely need to be screened and they won't take milk pumped prior to being screened.
Label the bags with dates and amounts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amanda_Jeanne
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM
I also used human milk 4 human babies on Facebook... I had a ton of milk in my freezer from pumping while my boys were in the NICU and we were moving and I didn't want to risk it all going bad in the move. A local mama stopped by my house to pick it up within a week, it was a good experience over all!
Randomtrixie
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Quoting shelley11709:

I do 12 hr blocks and what I do is pump/express just enough to soften the really full side before offering it to DS.
I used human milk for human babies on fb. I think within a day I found someone to donate to and dropped it off. If you go with a milk bank you will most likely need to be screened and they won't take milk pumped prior to being screened.
Label the bags with dates and amounts.

This is NOT true. Milk banks absolutely do take milk you pumped prior to being screened. The screening checks for blood borne illnesses and is just repeated every 6 months. You can drink moderate amounts of caffeine and you can even drink alcohol as long as you wait 12 hours after drinking before pumping again. Yes there is a screening process but it's not a big deal at all. It was a few minutes on the phone, 10 minutes filling out a questionnaire, and a quick blood test.

HM4HB has a place, I suppose, but at least on mine I see some sort of sketchy requests. Like, someone wanting milk for a 10 month old who's being overfed while mom is at work. One lady wanted milk for her 2 year old. Not that I don't have sympathy for that mom and her pumping output, but that baby's not going to die without breastmilk. The preemies and medically fragile babies that milk banks help WILL die without milk from qualified donors. Some banks are running very low and competition from HM4HB isn't helping the situation, IMO.

KristinawithaK
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM

hospital or craigslist.

there are some sickos that will pay big money for your bm.

Randomtrixie
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Quoting KristinawithaK:

hospital or craigslist.

there are some sickos that will pay big money for your bm.

Hospitals don't take donations directly, they work through HMBNA banks. I would never, ever post milk on Craigslist. Or get milk on Craigslist. Or enter into any buy/sell arrangement for breastmilk.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Human Milk for Human Babies, Eats on Feets are good places to start looking for a recipient.

The CM group Sharemilk also has a few interesting links that you'd benefit from looking at.

You  should screen the recipient, just as she will be screening you!  Some women are looking to get FREE milk for odd reasons.  I spoke with a few women before I found the "right" match.

While you might want to outright donate your stash, some donor mamas do ask to be reimbursed for their milk-storage bags--and most recepient mamas will gladly comply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)