Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Lip tie/tongue tie, when is it a problem?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM
  • 4 Replies
I noticed today my son has a lip tie and possible tongue tie. He's 7.5 months he latches fine but sometimes shallow(doesn't cause pain.) He is gaining fine(as you can see below.) I'm not sure if I should get him checked or just let it be.

Birth 8.12
Lowest 8
5 days 8.9
2 wks 9.1
2 mo 16.7
3.5 mo 18.7
7 mo 21.11
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Since he's obviously gaining fine, it's more of a dental health issue.  Lip ties cause decay and tongue ties cause ALL kinds of issues into adulthood.  They can also cause speech issues.  Here's a few links that might help you make a decision to clip or not (I personally would through my experiences being tied)

http://milkmatters.org.uk/2011/04/15/hidden-cause-of-feeding-problems-however-you-feed-your-baby/

http://thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot.com/2011/03/introducing-maxillary-labial-frenulum.html

maggiandmike
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:17 AM

If you're going to get it done, do it soon! Our pedi wasn't concerned about my daughter's TT, but it has caused me discomfort since day 1. I have oversupply, so she gains weight more than fine (doubled her birth weight by the time we found the tie at 3 months), but it still hurts (she is 17 months in 5 days.) Anyway, all this to say, I finally took her to the dentist because we have insurance referral issues with the pedi, and she was 12 months. He said she'd have to be put under general anesthesia if we get it done before she's two. So, get it done while they will still do it in office or deal with any problems that arise later or anasthesia.

MommyOfTheBest2
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:12 AM
My dd had tongue and lip tie that sounds like that. Gain has been fine, shallow but not painful latch sometimes. I had her pedi check, he referred us to an ent. Ent decided it was fine and we'd revisit the issue in a year. To be honest I'm totally unhappy with his verdict and I do worry about dental and speech issues, especially since dh had speech therapy as a child. I say get a referral and go from there.
The ent did say he just didn't want to take the risk of general anesthesia just to clip. She is 9 months old now and was about 6 when she was examined.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jolou
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:21 AM

I'd probably have it checked, just in case it was severe enough to cause some kind of problem later on (as a pp had), however it wouldn't worry me massively.

I have a tongue tie, and the biggest problem it has ever caused me is that if I have a bad cough, it hurts where my frenulum rubs against my bottom teeth. Really not a big deal!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)