Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not Draining the Breasts

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM
  • 18 Replies

DD is gaining weight, making diapers (lots), but she's not fully draining my breasts. I get somewhat engorged  after about 4 hours. I'd pump, but I need to get other things done and the set up doesn't seem to allow me to reach. Anyways, how do I get her to empty the breast?

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM

How old? I'm thinking she should be nursing more often than every 4 hrs. I know my son nursed more often than that  until he was about 10-11 months old. Also could you have an over supply causing you to have more than she needs?

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Babies dont empty the breast so to speak. They nurse until full and your body regulates. How old is baby. You may still be in that period where your body hasnt figured it all out yet :) i agree with pp though if your daughter is still young she may need to eat more often than 4 hours. How is she acting for you and how is her diper count? I totally understand about needing to get things done :) have you considered babywearing? I nurse my 5 month old hands free in my Ergo! So "handy"! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM
shes 4 weeks. no timing or schedules btw, but told by the ped i could start letting her sleep up to 4 hours at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM
around 6-8 pees and 3-4 poopy, which are already separated.oh and i nurse in the moby but shes still little so it takes a bit of extra effort.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM
You don't unless you want oversupply or to pump regularly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I would pump and then nurse her right away. That always helped me get rid of mastitis. Your body needs to level out to what she needs. But being engorged increases your risk of mastitis. Eventually you can pump less and she will be eating more.  

Amy, mother to five beautiful blessings!
"Dani B" (8), "Topher" (7), "Lukie Bob" (4), 
"Bella" (2), 
& Baby "Sammy" Due December 5, 2012!!!!! 
pregnancy calendar 
Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things [food & clothing] shall be added unto you.

MonicaV1982
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM
oh and im not worried about having to stop and nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_4509
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Do u nurse her off both breasts in the same feeding session ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilyMarshall
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM
bump

ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Your supply hasn't regulated yet, and breasts are never empty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)