Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help!!!

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM
  • 11 Replies
Im a new mom and once I started breastfeeding it came naturally. Now I'm having a problem, I feel like my breast milk production is slowing down, my daughter just turned 6months I'm not to sure if it because she's eating more.... But it's kind of bothering me. I spoke to a lactation consultant and she advices me to take these herbal vitamins. Is there anything else I can do to help??
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RozyMama
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:55 AM
What makes you think your supply is decreasing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Just nurse on demand. As long as she's still having 4-5 diapers a day, she's getting plenty. Supply regulates over time and you get super efficient, so you don't always feel like a milk machine after awhile!

Now about the eating more...did you mean nursing more, or solids? If she's eating solids, that could impact supply if you aren't nursing IMMEDIATELY before giving any.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Princess102011
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:02 AM
When I nurse it seems as of she becomes fussy like shes not getting enough milk. So now sometimes I resort to giving her a formula bottle as well as baby food.
RozyMama
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:09 AM
3 moms liked this
When she goes through a growth spurt, she won't act satisfied because she is starting to need more than you're currently producing. So she nurses constantly and acts fussy at the breast to stimulate your body to produce more. If you give her a bottle, two things happen. One, she learns to prefer the ease and fast flow of a bottle nipple. Two, your body isn't getting the message to produce extra because. During growth sorts the best thing to do is nurse EXTRA, not supplement.

Count diapers. That is the only way to know if there is a supply problem. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Diaper count is the way to determine if she's getting enough. 6 months is a big growth spurt. Stop formula, nurse, and count diapers.

Quoting Princess102011:

When I nurse it seems as of she becomes fussy like shes not getting enough milk. So now sometimes I resort to giving her a formula bottle as well as baby food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM
I agree with the other ladies. Your baby's behavior is normal. Just keep nursing, stop giving the bottles and formula, and count diapers. Four tablespoons of water in a diaper is what one wet feels like. More than that is two. Wet and poopy counts as two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

At six months, she's SUPPOSED to act this way. You need nothing but an extra dose of patience. Unfortunately they don't sell that anywhere. **grin**

MollyJmommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM
She's fine if you really think your supply is going down drink three cups of mothers milk tea a day and it'll bump up your supply :) my 9 month old acts like that alot I just count diapers and let her nurse whenever she wants and until she falls off herself :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Princess102011
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Thank you guys for the help. Im gonna continue to nurse as much as possible. Though I do give her 1 bottle a day. I also feed her soilds twice a day.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM

exactly what IU woiuld do. Nursing through it will be the best way to guarantee a sufficient supply of milk. In addition, there are things that can increase milk, but only in addition to nursing on demand and not supplimenting. Milks milk tea is good, fenugreek, oatmeal, water etc.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Diaper count is the way to determine if she's getting enough. 6 months is a big growth spurt. Stop formula, nurse, and count diapers.

Quoting Princess102011:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)