Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I can't pump enough :-( **update with weights**

Posted by   + Show Post
I know I make enough milk for her, as long as she's breastfeeding. I feed her all weekend and all the time I'm with her. But when I have to pump (I'm back to work, she just turned 3 months old) I barely get anything. I
take fenugreek and drink mothers
milk tea trying to fix it. But I just
prepared her bottles for the day, and
they're 1/2 breastmilk, 1/2 formula. I
know, I know, formula is the devil.
But she has to eat. This is third time
I've had to supplement in about a
month. Makes me feel so bad :-( I
pump while I'm gone from her more
often than she takes a bottle during
the day. I try not to go more than 3
hours without pumping. I look at her
pictures, listen to her and watch her
on videos on my iPhone while I
pump. I massage my breasts to get
every drop out that I can. I'm trying
so hard to do everything right!

I have thyroid disease and that
screws with everything. I'm thinking
it may be time to get my levels
checked again, cause maybe that's
the problem. And I'm so dang cranky
& stressed feeling. I keep snapping
at my older kids. I don't like any of
this! :-(
**update**
I took her to the doctor today and got a weight on her. She weighed 10lb 15oz. One month ago, April 3, she weighed 10pm 13oz. Two ounces in one month?? Not ok! She weighed 7 ,14 at birth, got down to 7, 4. I don't have her weights on ne from the early days, but she gained fine. At her 2 month on march 26, she was 10, 9. Same scales each time.

I do not want to keep giving her formula to supplement, but I've fought a good fight! I will not give up breastfeeding, I'll continue to try try
try. I'll get my thyroid checked again and see if that helps. But for now, she needs more than I can produce for her and I'll do what I have to to keep her healthy! And do my very best to not feel bad about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:40 AM
Replies (21-25):
Supermommyof423
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM
If u r on birth control some forms can mess your milk up to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supermommyof423
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM
They say drinking water helps to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
azpreemiemom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Domperidone did wonders for me. I could only pump because my DD was unable to breastfeed for the first 7 months (she aspirated)

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

tyheamma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

LeeLee, you're doing great. Your body just doesn't respond as well to your pump as it does to your baby. I'd definitely add in morning pumping. My best sessions came from around 6am. Because I was exclusively pumping, I also did middle of the night sessions and got better results from 1 am than anytime after dinner. I don't recommend waking up at 1 am unless your daughter wakes you up, but it will probably help a lot to add something in the morning. And definitely keep up the schedule for your days off.

And formula is not the devil. My little girl is kept alive by formula since after 14 months, the mama milk factory closed. She can't eat by mouth, so solids and purees are out. She uses pediatric medical formula now (higher calories than infant formula), but she supplemented with dry formula in my milk as a newborn because she was fluid restricted. The biggest danger to using formula is relying on it more than you need and shooting your supply. But at the end of the day, your daughter has to eat. You are doing a mighty fine job, formula or not.

amandae21
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I have hypothyroidism. My thyroid took a nosedive when my middle child was about 6 weeks. Hit my milk supply hard and it was never the same. I also took fenugreek and mothers milk tea. They helped a little but not enough.This may not be the case for you though.

Even if you have to supplement, you can still BF! I had to start supplementing when I went back to work with with my oldest, but I was still able to nurse her on our same schedule in the evenings. It got to where I couldn't pump anything at work but was able to nurse when we got home in the evening, bedtime and for nighttime feedings until she was 7 months old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)