Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wondering if daughter is over eating?!?

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter is 6 weeks old and will eat 4oz of breast milk every 2 hours and I don't know if I should be concerned that's she's overrating or if she's just loving the milk and a growing girl she has ate 4oz every 2 hours since she was 4 weeks, my best friend has a son who is 11 weeks and he just started eating 4oz every feeding. Am I being paranoid or should I start giving her less?!?
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Replies (11-15):
LifeSavorLove
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM

i have a flat nipple too, i had to use a breast shield that went over my nipple..after using a breast shield for a week it started pulling my nipple out so i could gradually ween her off. it wouldnt hurt to try again if you'd like too. i've heard some people got their baby too latch on after using a bottle for a few months.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Flat nipples are an easy problem... breast shells worn when not nursing. More women have flat nipples than otherwise; the LC did you a disservice by not helping you with that.

ProudMommyOf6ix
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Oh ok. I was just trying to help.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

YOUR SOURCE IS INVALID! Never use a random source as information, use a source correct for what you are feedingyour child.  Its different for BM and formula.

OP-YES shes overeatting, she needs 24-30oz a day, if shes eatting 48oz a day thats REALLY bad, thats twice what she needs!  Gradually cut back so that her stomach can get used to the amounts..if you are using all breastmilk this will be easier.

If there a reason that you are bottlefeeding and not nursing?

Quoting ProudMommyOf6ix:

Intake is dependent on the infants weight, normally a 6 week old will eat 2-4oz in a sitting or nurse every 1.5-3 hours round the clock. 
As long as your baby is still not being fed anything except formula or breastmilk, gaining weight and having wet diapers he is well fed
These are the ounce guidelines based on weight (the amount of calories a day needed for growth)
Pounds/ kg /oz
4.5 / 2 / 11
6 / 2.7 / 15
8 / 3.6 / 19
10 / 4.5 / 24
12 / 5.5 / 30

My Source is yahoo answers.

ProudMommyOf6ix
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Sorry, I was just trying to help. I was NOT trying to find a fast way for bad information or I would have never said where I got my source from. Every baby is different, I have never measured how much breastmilk I gave my daughter (still don't) and she is 15 months old and a healthy 20.5 pounds.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Not for a breastfed baby. Formula babies gradually need more because formula will always stay the same. Breastmilk continuously adjusts the amount of fat, calories, nutrition to match the needs of that baby.
Bottles should never be more than 3oz every 3hrs. Any more than that is overfeeding and belly stretching, no matter how big or small the baby is.
Yahoo answers is a fast way of getting some really bad information.

Quoting ProudMommyOf6ix:

Intake is dependent on the infants weight, normally a 6 week old will eat 2-4oz in a sitting or nurse every 1.5-3 hours round the clock. 
As long as your baby is still not being fed anything except formula or breastmilk, gaining weight and having wet diapers he is well fed
These are the ounce guidelines based on weight (the amount of calories a day needed for growth)
Pounds/ kg /oz
4.5 / 2 / 11
6 / 2.7 / 15
8 / 3.6 / 19
10 / 4.5 / 24
12 / 5.5 / 30

My Source is yahoo answers.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Unfortunately Yahoo Answers is pretty unreliable. But check out kellymom.com for tons of great info written by an IBCLC.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)