Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't understand...told to stop nursing

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:48 AM
  • 71 Replies
So Natalya is my lo. He is so sweet. As my previous post said I do hate bf BUT I loved how much she loves nursing, the money benefits, and again feeling like I was doing something I never though I could.
At talyas follow up for her tongue clipping and her 2 mth check up my husband was told that she is not gaining weight....worse she is losing weight! How is this happening. Why is this so hard for us! I don't want to feel like a failure but damn it I do. I may have hated it and wished for te simplistic nature that ff is to me because that's what I know and my family has always done. Just in the last week she dropped down an oz and she should have gained a lot since she was clipped and able to properly nurse at least I thought she wAs!
Since I'm sure someone will ask to give me suggestions here is her weight history and height
Birth 7.6 21 inch
Leaving hospital three days later
7.2 1/2 21 in
2 wk 7.4 1/2
4 wk 8.14 21 1/4 inches
8 wks 9.6
9 wks 9.4 1/2

Well the solution according to the dr (who I do test and is NOT telling us to stop giving bm) is saying pump everything I can, give high calorie formula after the bm until she is done eating. This means ( I can only get half an oz each time I pump every two hours) that she will be almost completely ff. that I should not latch her what so ever because she is burning more calories then she is getting in just trying to nurse. I'm at a loss. I knew my supply had taken a hit urging our issues with her being tongue tied but now what will it do? I'm flustered I'll add more in the replies as people respond
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeSavorLove
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:54 AM

i commented on your last post..and their are also erbal teas for increasing breast milk. also take fenugreek 8 times a day they are in capsules. also at the health food store. lots of women swear by these and so do i. They really help increase your breast milk. breast milk is made up of protien, water and fat. it takes the fat from your body but the protien and water is harder so you must eat lots of protien and drink lots of water. it makes a huge diff. oatmeal is a great source of protien

lundaylove
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM

did they clip the tongue tie enough? is there also a lip tie maybe? 

armybratmom612
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I thought it may not have been done enough so I had my husband make them check and she said it looked beautiful.

Quoting lundaylove:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armybratmom612
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM
I'll look up liptie

Quoting lundaylove:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armybratmom612
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Amazingly enough I've been doing the fenugreek and mothers milk tea (which makes me gag FYI lol)

Quoting LifeSavorLove:

i commented on your last post..and their are also erbal teas for increasing breast milk. also take fenugreek 8 times a day they are in capsules. also at the health food store. lots of women swear by these and so do i. They really help increase your breast milk. breast milk is made up of protien, water and fat. it takes the fat from your body but the protien and water is harder so you must eat lots of protien and drink lots of water. it makes a huge diff. oatmeal is a great source of protien

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:13 AM
4 moms liked this
I would think you'd want baby at the breast as much as possible...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armybratmom612
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM
That's what they had me doing and I guess they are saying she is burning more then she is getting now so it's not working. I think she doesn't understand just how little bm I can get while pumping

Quoting justone_jen:

I would think you'd want baby at the breast as much as possible...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armybratmom612
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM
I will give the dr credit she set up an appt for me to go to the lc who trains all of the lc in te area to figure out a solution
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Ok you want a weight gain of 1 lb per month. You are only 1.5 ounces off from birth weight, and 2 ounces over lowest weight!

Honestly that's good.
You want to look at over-all gain.

The 'loss' can be because of being weighed different times of the day, depending on if she just ate or hasn't eaten recently, different scales, scale calibration slightly off, etc.

If you want to supplement, I suggest only pumping and using your milk, just the half ounce. All the formula is overkill.

Also, how many diapers in 24 hours? You want 6 wet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RozyMama
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Find an IBCLC!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)