Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Will this cause problems long term?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM
  • 6 Replies

I work at a veterinary office and I am back to work from my maternity leave. I am finding it difficult finding time to pump as often as I should.

I feed DS at 8 am and leave for daycare at 8:30

We are back home by 4pm and I nurse as soon as we are home.

Most days last week I was only able to get away to pump one time. By the time I pumped my breasts were engorged and painful. I was able to pump enough (I pump one breast in the morning while DS is nursing) throughout the day to make the next day's bottles, but will pumping only once at work have a negative long term effect on my supply?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Supply forever adjusts. It will have an impact on how much you have to give baby for the next day.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

YEP in the long run pumping once a day will hurt supply, the fact that you get painful and engorged means you rbody is being told to make less milk at those times.  You have the legal right to pump, you need to make time to pump.

Glowing4Caleb
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM

What I do, is schedule my pumping times. I know every day at 9:30, noon and 3, I will pump. Nothing is scheduled in those times. (I actually go feed my son at noon, but on the off day where I have a luncheon or something, I will pump at that time) Those times (9:30, noon and 3:00) are also when my LO eats...so I have one pumping session for every time he eats to keep my supply maintained.

annaica
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM
With my son, i only pumped once a day and it wasn't enough to keep going :(
Talk to your employer and make sure they understand it is important for both your health and your baby's to get more pumping time at work. They should be able to accomodate you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

What if I can’t stop to express my milk as frequently as I should?

When it is challenging to find enough time to express your milk here are some time saving options:
  • You most likely do not need to wash out your pump parts every time, and that can reduce the amount of time you spend during break or during your lunch period.
  • Breastmilk can be kept at room temperature for 6-8 hours (ABM, 2004). Keep your pump parts and bottles of milk in a cool place; covering them with a cool towel will help.
  • Some mothers place all of their pump parts in the refrigerator along with their bottles of expressed milk, each time they pump. At the end of the day they take all of the parts home to wash.
  • Consider arranging your schedule so that you can arrive at work 15 minutes before you need to “clock in” and pump before you start work.
  • If you don’t have enough time to completely drain your breasts, it is still valuable to stop and express some milk, even if it is only for 5 minutes.
  • If you are driving for a during your work hours, you can consider purchasing a car adapter for your pump, along with a hands free pumping bra ( or you can make your own) link: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/pumping_braconvert.html so that you can pump hands-free. For your safety, Breastfeeding USA recommends that you pull over to express milk and that you don’t do so while driving.
birdiemom
by Allison on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I appreciate every one's responses. I kinda figured I would have to make the time. I know I can steal away an extra 5-10 minutes here and there, and I've actually become pretty good at hand expressing so that would save me the extra time then to clean the pump parts.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

What if I can’t stop to express my milk as frequently as I should?

When it is challenging to find enough time to express your milk here are some time saving options:
  • You most likely do not need to wash out your pump parts every time, and that can reduce the amount of time you spend during break or during your lunch period.
  • Breastmilk can be kept at room temperature for 6-8 hours (ABM, 2004). Keep your pump parts and bottles of milk in a cool place; covering them with a cool towel will help.
  • Some mothers place all of their pump parts in the refrigerator along with their bottles of expressed milk, each time they pump. At the end of the day they take all of the parts home to wash.
  • Consider arranging your schedule so that you can arrive at work 15 minutes before you need to “clock in” and pump before you start work.
  • If you don’t have enough time to completely drain your breasts, it is still valuable to stop and express some milk, even if it is only for 5 minutes.
  • If you are driving for a during your work hours, you can consider purchasing a car adapter for your pump, along with a hands free pumping bra ( or you can make your own) link: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/pumping_braconvert.html so that you can pump hands-free. For your safety, Breastfeeding USA recommends that you pull over to express milk and that you don’t do so while driving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN