Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pitting 3 Edema 2 weeks PP.

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM
  • 7 Replies
Is this normal to have edema still up to my thighs two weeks after giving birth? My feet and calves have grade 3 pitting edema and my blood pressure is 153/90 and I'm usually around 115/66 ish. They did blood work and my liver/kidney function is back to normal but my step mother works for a cardiologist and she talking about congestive heart failure and telling me to get an ultrasound of my heart wth...I'm freaking out. Anyone have any experience with this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:18 PM
There is such a thing as post partum preeclampsia. I had this for over 12 weeks after I had Wyatt.

Did you have preeclampsia or pregnancy induced high blood pressure?

Regardless, go to your primary care physician. Look up post partum preeclampsia in case he/she is not familiar. I went on blood pressure meds for two months and now I am fine at six months out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nakisha.aguallo
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM
I never have ad blood pressure problems in fact during pregnancy I had low blood pressure. Last Tuesday I went to insta care because of a migraine and my swollen feet hurt so bad and he wouldn't do anything because he was afraid if toxemia even though he said it wa rare PP so he sent me to the ER where they did blood tests and such to rule out toxemia and sent me home saying it should go away in a day or two and here I am anoter week layer still just as swollen. I want to cry I feel like I can't properly take care of my baby because I can barely walk (he's safe and fine I just hate that I don't dare carry him up or down the stairs and I can't clean an organize my house)

Quoting Amberleigh81:

There is such a thing as post partum preeclampsia. I had this for over 12 weeks after I had Wyatt.

Regardless, go to your primary care physician. Look up post partum preeclampsia in case he/she is not familiar. I went on blood pressure meds for two months and now I am fine at six months out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Get seen today, by either your primary care physician or your ob.

Quoting nakisha.aguallo:

I never have ad blood pressure problems in fact during pregnancy I had low blood pressure. Last Tuesday I went to insta care because of a migraine and my swollen feet hurt so bad and he wouldn't do anything because he was afraid if toxemia even though he said it wa rare PP so he sent me to the ER where they did blood tests and such to rule out toxemia and sent me home saying it should go away in a day or two and here I am anoter week layer still just as swollen. I want to cry I feel like I can't properly take care of my baby because I can barely walk (he's safe and fine I just hate that I don't dare carry him up or down the stairs and I can't clean an organize my house)

Quoting Amberleigh81:

zannahdeux
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

same here but I had sever pre-eclampisa and they had to take the baby early. My swelling lasted for 3 months pp and I was on bp meds for 8 weeks pp and now I am 5 1/2 months pp and am doing fine. I think you really need to call your doctor or go to the er stat...

Quoting Amberleigh81:

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM

You need to see your ob/gyn TODAY! This sounds like PP preeclampsia and if it is not treated can become eclampsia which means seizures, brain swelling, temporaty blindness, even death. Nothing to mess around with!!

In addition to medical care, eat an entire watermelon (yes, the whole thing if you can). It is a natural diruetic and will help you to shed that retained water.

nakisha.aguallo
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:37 PM
When they snt me to the er they told me since my liver and kidney function is normal that they ruled out toxemia. I called my ob today no return phone call. I don't know what to do I've already been to te er last week. I feel like I'm stuck like this.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

You need to see your ob/gyn TODAY! This sounds like PP preeclampsia and if it is not treated can become eclampsia which means seizures, brain swelling, temporaty blindness, even death. Nothing to mess around with!!

In addition to medical care, eat an entire watermelon (yes, the whole thing if you can). It is a natural diruetic and will help you to shed that retained water.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Quoting nakisha.aguallo:

When they snt me to the er they told me since my liver and kidney function is normal that they ruled out toxemia. I called my ob today no return phone call. I don't know what to do I've already been to te er last week. I feel like I'm stuck like this.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Well if they've ruled out toxemia then your best bet is to rest and try and shed those fluids.  Did you eat that watermelon yet? :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN