Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

WIC breast pumps

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM
  • 22 Replies

I live in Oklahoma, and plan to get on WIC for my maternity leave. I will be breastfeeding, but I anticipate latch issues because I was in a car accident 8 years ago that split my right breast in half internally, causing it to be deformed now. So, I will most likely be nursing off one breast and pumping from the other at every feeding, Has anyone been on WIC and recieved an electric pump that you get to keep? I will be going back to work after 3 months and won't qualify for WIC for the entire first year, just the first 3 months, and if they will give me one to keep, I'll sign up, but if not and I have to buy one anyways, it would be better just to skip the whole thing and buy one myself. Any ideas?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM

WIC pumps are generally loaners.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM

It completely varies from place to place. Some women here have reported being given Ameda Purely Yours pumps from WIC, Most Wic offices use rental pumps that you need to return, many also give out hand pumps llike the Medela Harmony.

You may want to wait and see what you need. You may be surprised and actually not need a pump at all.

Either way, get signed up for WIC and see what they have to offer in the way of support for you.

JADIEBUG
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Oklahoma ones tend to be loaners and only if you are as student or working. In my area there is still a waiting list for one even if you qualify.

IF you are a Tribal member or the child will be one I suggest using Tribal WIC....They tend to have more pumps and are easier to get one with.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Yes, but I bought a pump from them for a hundred dollars, and it runs about three hundred dollars to buy.

Quoting gdiamante:

WIC pumps are generally loaners.

maggiandmike
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM
My cousin got one from her wic in Sand Springs that she got to keep. I go to the Tulsa WIC, but I don't work, so I've never gotten a pump. Call your wic department to find out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM
My wic office wouldn't give out pumps unless your child had medical problems, and it was only a pedal pump even then. But other offices are different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
treversmommy
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Not in oklohamo But my wic office did not have any for when I returned to work even though I was exclusively breastfeeding. I went and bought one. I Bought a baileymed  breast pump it different than most as You have to control the suction current but it works wonderfully  once you get used to it and was only like $150 with a a travel bag/kit. plus they also give discount for those who are low income.  I was unsure about it first since I didnt know the name brand but I really could afford the high dollar ones and was starting my intership with school.  

misslady80013
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM
I am on WIC in Colorado on maternity leave right now. I am not sure if I get to keep it or not, but I will be getting an electric pump in a couple weeks. I go back to work early June.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_cullum
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM
I'm in arkansas and they gave me a brand new Medella pump. It was awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I was loaned a double electric and given a single manual.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)