Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How much to pump?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM
  • 4 Replies
I just had my baby girl a week ago. I'm breastfeeding ,I would like to be able to pump so my hubby can feed her I just don't know how much to give her, when I pump for 15 min I get 3 oz is that to much to give her?
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
LindseyLou531
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Yes that's a bit much.  You will probably always pump more than is necessary to give.  My advice would be: don't worry about pumping so dad can feed at this point.  Wait until nursing has been well established before trying bottles.  Dad can help in other ways  :)

jrp0606
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Until breastfeeding is well established I would hold off on pumping or bottles.

Also pumping this early can mess up your supply and create an over supply which can lead to other issues.

For the first 4-6 weeks you should stick to just nursing after that you want offer 1oz for every hour you are away never more than 4ozs at a time and make sure you pump the feed missed when the bottle is given
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
This. My SO gave Max his first bottle at five weeks old. Daddy can bond with babies in lots of other ways.

Quoting jrp0606:

Until breastfeeding is well established I would hold off on pumping or bottles.

Also pumping this early can mess up your supply and create an over supply which can lead to other issues.

For the first 4-6 weeks you should stick to just nursing after that you want offer 1oz for every hour you are away never more than 4ozs at a time and make sure you pump the feed missed when the bottle is given

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Feeding is probably both the least helpful and the least bonding thing dad can do with baby. Have him try diapering or bathing. Both much more interactive... better bonding experience when baby is actually paying attention!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)