Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Upping Supply Questions for Pumping

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have read through the stickies on this and also have been following a few recent posts about upping supply but I still have some questions.

I got sick, really sick, 19th-22nd. As hard as I tried to keep up with water intake, I still found myself in the emergency room with dehydration on the 21st. I had two bags of fluid, hung out and watched crappy TV for a few hours and went home. I nursed babe as much as possible during this nasty bug's stay. Dad gave a bottle or two to help out. Thankfully no one else in the house caught it.

Fast forward to return to work on the 24th (last Tuesday). I was nearly in tears. I only pumped 7 ounces the whole day. My usual output is 11-12 and that is generally what babe needs for the next day. I had enough milk on hand to get me through Wednesday and Thursday. I took Friday off to spend some quality time with the babe at the breast. Thursday I started taking Fenugreek--I took I think 4 that day. Friday I upped it to 9 total. Then I found the recent post where Tabi said 12 a day. So Saturday and Sunday I took 12 each day. I also started drinking Mother's Milk tea again on Thursday (3-5 cups a day). Also, I have been making sure to drink 100 ounces of water a day. In addition, I pumped every 2 hours on Friday, a few times on Saturday (was not able to do the every two hours since no one was home with me), and three times yesterday. While I was sick, I had no appetite and I know I was not getting 1800 calories a day. I have made sure over this three day weekend to really make an effort to get my calorie intake back up.

I think finally today I am seeing an increase in supply. I was able to pump 11 ounces which will be what he needs for tomorrow (I'm gone for as long as 10 hours). I am hopeful that today's output is a good indicator that my supply for pumping is back (or that I am responding to the pump again). Once I am certain it's where I need it to be, what do I do about all the supplements I am taking? I don't want to cause some freaky problem the other way but of course I don't want to go back to stressing about my pumping output.

Your advice is really appreciated. I have gained a TON of knowledge from lurking in this group and I am so very thankful. Between the awesome Lactation Consultant at the hospital, my best friend and this group, you have helped me through babe's first 10 months...hoping for at least 10 more!

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bigmamaisback
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM

It's definitely takes patience (and a lot of herbs) to increase milk supply. At least it did in my case. Keep pumping every 2 to 3 hours. Every 4 hours overnight. Take the herbs every few hours. I'm using Breastea from http://www.breastea.com and it does work. You just got to make sure to use herbs on a regular basis. As soon as you get your body back to the before illness state and continue pumping often it will all come back if you continue to pump a lot.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:17 PM

After about a full week of pumping enough, start to gradually wean off the supplements. If your supply drops, you can go back a step and stay there. Wait a couple fo weeks a try weaning down again.

zannahdeux
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Quoting maggiemom2000:

After about a full week of pumping enough, start to gradually wean off the supplements. If your supply drops, you can go back a step and stay there. Wait a couple fo weeks a try weaning down again.

This! Also try adding oatmeal to your diet. I did the last two days and I am like super cow! Good thing because ds is going through a growth spurt. I cam home today and all the milk was gone! Usually there are at least two bottle left...also you can power pump to up supply...pump off and on for five ,images at a time for a full thirty minutes...that ups mine for the next day. I do it before bed while I watch tv. Just stay hooked up to the pump....lol
MomOfFur
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM
I forgot to mention that I have been eating two packs of oatmeal for breakfast since last Wednesday. I also made lactation cookies and have been eating at least 3 of those a day.

Thanks, ladies, for your advice. Much appreciated!
shelley11709
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Instant oatmeal isn't the same. It needs to be the real oats.

Quoting MomOfFur:

I forgot to mention that I have been eating two packs of oatmeal for breakfast since last Wednesday. I also made lactation cookies and have been eating at least 3 of those a day.

Thanks, ladies, for your advice. Much appreciated!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)