Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

It's not going well :(

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM
  • 40 Replies
My baby is 5 days old and nurses constantly. I've had no let down reflex. I pumped to see what I'm getting and it was only .5 ounce! Since I pumped I feel like I haven't filled back up and she is hungry! She just keeps nursing and I guess isn't getting enough :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
C8Baxter
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:11 PM
That's her job. It's normal. It's not easy....but you're doing great. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dsebastian23
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:11 PM

just keep nursing it will get better.

klovest
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM
They nurse like that all the time in the beginning! 110% normal. Pumping is no indication of supply. I've been breastfeeding for almost 11 mos exclusively and I have never in my life felt the let down that people talk about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sofia0587
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Agree

Quoting C8Baxter:

That's her job. It's normal. It's not easy....but you're doing great. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Not all women feel the let down. Do not worry. :)

0.5 oz. is completely normal. Pumping output DOES NOT equal how much you are actually producing. Baby is WAY more effective at getting the milk out than a pump is. She is getting exactly what she requires.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Everything sounds normal to me. Also, pumping is no indication of how much milk you are making.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM

How are diapers?

I honestly didn't know what a letdown was until my first was a year old.   Often, you can't feel it... also, your milk may not even be in yet, or all the way in.   .5oz is totally normal output for milk being in, so for the transitional stage, it's awesome. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM

what everyone else said :)

the only indication of supply is diaper count - at 5 days, you want 5 diapers. After a week old, you want 6-8 per 24 hours. 1 diaper is thesame as 4tbsp of water in a diaper (you can test that out to see what it feels like). Full diaper or poop/pee counts as 2 diapers.

As long as diaper count is fine, she's getting plenty. She will be nursing a lot over the next 6 weeks to establish your supply and accomodate frequent growth spurts

Nicole060812
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Thanks ladies. She wets at least 6 diapers a day and had a massive poop today lol. I just feel like I'm completely empty and shes not getting enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kermitthemom23
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Begining to nurse SUCKS!!  And it doesn't seem to matter for some which number kid you are on.  My 3rd was just as bad (ok not quite) as my first.

Takes about 6 weeks to really get it going to where all it great with both of you.  Just keep plugging.  You may never be the most effective milk producer (My milk comes in late and NEVER had enough for a back up supply) but sounds like you are doing good actually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN