Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need Info

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM
  • 5 Replies

I figure some of you moms may have info at hand so I thought I'd start here.  I've got a mom who's baby has been hospitalized for failure to thrive.  He's back home now that he's put some weight on (with a high calorie formula) and now is having stage two reflux.  Mom has been told to NOT breast feed.  Does anyone have any info of this and how to keep nursing through all of this or is this a case where baby does need (though, I don't really believe that) formual instead?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Breastfeeding doesn't cause reflux. HOWEVER, substances in mom's milk can cause reactions that look darned well like reflux and can lead to FTT (which, by the way, would be indicated with weight loss/lack of ANY gain combined with lack of dipes... the dipes being the more serious indicator... scales LIE).

I'd get mom to an IBCLC IMMEDIATELY if she wants to nurse.

sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I guess it really depends on what they determined was FTT - was it just that he wasn't gaining, was he losing, how old, how were diapers...

If he's having reflux all of a sudden after having the formula, there's a good chance it isn't reflux but actually a dairy protein allergy. Mom would eliminate dairy and get back to nursing.

I agree - without a decent amount of more info, there are lot of different scenarios that could be going on. She needs to see an IBCLC and figure out what is going on.

JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:50 AM
who told her not to BF? the pedi?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:33 AM

It really just depends, need a lot more info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyBelovedOnes
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

She's listening to the doctors and not going to breast feed.  I even offered to go on a very restricted diet and pump for her so that she could try it and see if it made any changes and she won't.  Thanks for the info though.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)