Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Constipation

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM
  • 20 Replies
My baby is 8 weeks old for most of her life he has had more than one bowel movement a day untill the last week. She went three days and had one and now she's been four days and her gas has the worst smell that keeps getting worse. Ive never smelled a breastfed baby smell like this. My first daughter only pooped once a week, but that was always her normal.
I tried a little apple juice and then a little pear and still nothing. I can see and fill her trying and she gets mad.

Everything I read says breastfed babies don't get constipated, but she totally is.
Any ideas what can I do for her. She has a doctors appointment in two days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Totally normal. Stop all juices. Breastmilk is a natural laxative. Brace yourself for a huge blowout :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh and it's only considered constipated if baby is having hard pellet like poops!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Way too soon for juice. That can stop her up. Just keep nursing. Just bc she's farting doesn't mean she's constipated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CadeeBearsMOM
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:59 PM

She tries to poop, You can see her pushing and feel tummy get hard as rock and she cries. Her gas just keeps getting stinkier. Today it smells like something died in there.

LindseyLou531
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM
My son had the worst worst worst smelling has and poops. And he has been strictly breast milk. He went 18 days without pooping. I promise, your lo will poop and it probably will smell.

Try looking at what you are eating to see if it is causing the stinkier gas. Don't give her anything but boob though at this age. It WILL come out. And it will more than likely be a nasty blow out when it does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mel0dy
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I agree 8 weeks is wayyyyy to soon for juice. just keep breastfeeding and he'll poop. When DD has bad gas or can"t poop I lay her on her tummy on a hard pillow i have and rub her lower back. most of the time she farts lol

sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Just keep nursing - breastmilk is a natural laxative. Try infant massage too.

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 1, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Is her belly rock hard when she's relaxed or just when she's straining/fussing/passing gas?  If it's hard when she's relaxed, she could be constipated; if not, you don't need to worry here.  She will poop.  As long as it's not pellets, it's normal, and so is the horribly stinky gas.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Totally normal. My oldest was always a once a day pooper, but my second and third pooped around the clock (more than hourly with the third) the first 6ish weeks and then abruptly quit. Middle fit set in an every other to every 3 days schedule and youngest went to pooing every week...or less! Relax. Breastfed babies almost never get constipated, but they do frequently go a long time without going! (and please please don't give your baby anymore juice! You can't force poop that isn't there and it might actually cause problems)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:59 AM
go on youtube and look up baby massage for gas. there are some good tutorials on there. when my DS was 8 wks that helped him fart... still does. when his tummy is bothering him we like the i love u massage and then we move his legs like a bike. he usually farts or does a huge poop like 10 min after haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN