Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need advice on antibiotic treatment for me and nursing please

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM
  • 24 Replies
Ok, I'm at the doctor now, horrible midde ear infection. They are giving me a shot of antibiotic now and and putting me on Zpac for 5 days to clear it up, I waiting too long to come in since I though it would "go away". The doctor said to use my judgement about nursing while on this medication. I'm sad, what do I do? They couldnt give old fashioned Penicillin because I'm allergic. Very sad, do I continue nursing, or should I supplement for my baby's safety?
CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Duquesne
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Do you have milk pumped and saved?

It passes into breastmilk and accumulates, BUT no problems linked. It's a tough decision. I take nothing. Personal choice.

Hope it helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on May. 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Most antibiotics are perfectly safe for nursing. I KNOW the z pack is safe, taken it myself while nursing. I also got a shot but I'm not sure if it's the same one. It was safe too. Do you know what abx they  gave you in the shot? I can look it up in Dr Hales book but I'm betting it's perfectly safe. No need for supplimenting.

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Oh & OP just something to ease your mind...if you have a smart phone there is a lact med app so you can look things up at your fingertips.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Nurse your baby!!! Those same antibiotics are given to infants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 1, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Zpak and rocephin (the shot) are perfectly safe.  Both of my boys were on them as infants.  Continue to nurse.  Feel better soon!!

MamaHome
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM

This.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Zpak and rocephin (the shot) are perfectly safe.  Both of my boys were on them as infants.  Continue to nurse.  Feel better soon!!

Asweetangel80
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Quoting K8wizzo:

That was the shot they gave me too. My baby was on amocicillan a week ago for an ingrown nail so he is not a stranger to antibiotics completely. And I have only saved 5 oz. Since I've been nursing mainly. But I know 5 days would be a LONG to not nurse him. Thanks so much fit your advice ladies, y'all are helping me so much!!
CafeMom Tickers
Stevensmomma
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM

If you have some milk saved I would give it instead and pump and dump to keep your supply up.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

They give that to babies in FAR stronger doses than can ever pass through milk. Take your med.

You have to be on really really serious stuff to not be able to nurse. I'm talking certain heart meds, cancer drugs, that sort of serious.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM

No need. Evict pump and dump from the vocabulary; it's not needed.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

If you have some milk saved I would give it instead and pump and dump to keep your supply up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)